Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Durik
Votes |
Not renewing lease on a tenant.

Matt Durik
Posted

Question, There lease isn't up in till the end of April. After giving them notice ( 30days). They don't move out. Will this start the basic eviction process? If so give them more notice so they stop paying rent and start the eviction process sooner.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Matt Durik:

Question, There lease isn't up in till the end of April. After giving them notice ( 30days). They don't move out. Will this start the basic eviction process? If so give them more notice so they stop paying rent and start the eviction process sooner.

I'm curious why you are worrying about this when their lease isn't up until April? Are they exhibiting behavior that makes you concerned they'll refuse to leave?

The eviction process does not start automatically. You have to take action. You should be prepared to start the eviction process the very first day legally allowed. If your tenants see that you mean business, they are more likely to vacate.

You can find the eviction process online. Here's one example: https://renters.equalhousing.o...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied

Should the tenant not vacate after the lease has expired - this is important:  Do NOT accept any rent from the tenant.  None.  If you do, it starts a month-to-month tenancy - and you'll have to give notice again, repeat the process.  Here's what I recommend:

1.  Do give the notice. And, if you have concerns, send it to them via email and retain a copy - as well as send it by US Mail with proof of delivery required.  That way, if you have to evict, you have the documentation you need.  One more thing here:  give a time of departure.  If you lease did not state an end time in it, then note the lease will cease on (date) at 11:59 p.m. - and that a locksmith has been engaged to change the locks upon their departure.  (It's not a bad idea to do that if you have concerns so that they don't come back in).

2.  At 15-days before lease end, schedule a final walk of the property with the tenants. It should be on the last day of the lease or before if the unit is vacant. Give instructions on what should be done by the tenants to retain their security deposit and/or avoid damage assessments; these include: removal of all personal items/trash, appliances/bathrooms emptied and cleaned - basically the unit is to be returned in the same condition as when they rented it (less normal wear and tear).  This step lets them know that the clock is ticking and that you are moving forward with their departure.

3.  At 5 days, confirm the walk through appointment.  If there is any push back by the tenants, let them know that the unit has been committed to another party and, as such, there can be no extension beyond lease end.

4.  No Tenant Response to your notices/scheduling requests...give a notice of inspection to the tenant giving your state's notice.  Most have 72 hours or less. Then show up with another party as a witness and walk the property; photograph any damage. If the tenant is present, reiterate the lease expiration.  If they tell you they're not leaving, stay calm and let them know that should they not legally depart per the lease and notice, an eviction will be filed the next morning - and that's something that you don't look forward to doing and that will have ramifications for them.  Then refuse to be engage further. 

5.  Confirm departure.  Revisit the unit on the first day following lease end.  If they're gone, buy a lottery ticket!  If not, file for eviction. Most municipalities have an online filing system that is efficient and inexpensive to use.  

This is more than you probably wanted but - as you can tell - it does happen and there are ways to keep the focus on lease end departure.  Hope this helps.  Fingers crossed for their departure.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Is it stated in your lease that you can give a 30 day notice at any time? You're going to have to wait till the lease ends 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Durik
Votes |
Replied

I thank everyone for their responses. Let me go a little further. they are on a 15-month lease. The first six months we're good. Then the sound and dancing started. I filed for eviction once. Which woke them up for a month then the dancing started again. I'm just tired of it and I'm no stranger to the eviction process. I thought it was the law to give 30 days. So my concern is if I start the eviction process at the end of April staring with the magistrate for procession if granted then thirty days to appeal then another hearing and so on. Before you know it three months have gone by. ( Which would be the middle of summer) I have a good feeling once I give notice they will stop paying rent. So then go for rent and procession. Hoping to end the process at the beginning of summer and not the middle.  Thank you Patricia

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Goodermote
  • Attorney
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied

Your lease would control, but be careful, if the lease doesn’t waive notice to quit, this notice would also need to be posted after the termination notice: i.e. when they don’t leave at end of the lease’s term. 

Disclaimer: I would recommend a local real estate attorney review the lease to be sure everything is done correctly.