Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Dan Gustavson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Utah
Votes |
Tenant of 4 Years Doesn't Want New BF to be on Lease, Question?

Dan Gustavson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Utah
Posted Mar 25 2023, 13:29

Hey everyone - It's been a while since I've posted, glad to be back on here. I have a great tenant that is wanting to sign another year long lease, this will be her 4th year in this property and she's be awesome. Her daughter, that was over 18 and on all of the previous leases, is moving out and now the Tenant is asking if a new "Guy Friend" can move in. I said I would have to do a screening on him and he would need to be on the lease (this chatting was a couple weeks back). I'm working on the lease now and she asked if we could do the screening on him but not add him to the lease "in case it doesn't work out". I told her I had to have him on some sort of lease, possibly a month-to-month of his own and her on a year, but would get back to her... hence why I'm here now. How would you handle this? And how would I do the financial part of the lease? I'm not sure if they are splitting it down the middle or if she would be fully responsible since she is wanting a year lease. I did ask if she would be able to make the payments herself if it didn't work out, waiting to hear back.

How would you guys handle this? I know enough to never let anyone over 18 to live at the property without a screening and lease, this is just kind of an odd one for me this year. 

Thanks All!!

Loading replies...