• Denver CO
Votes |
Swamp cooler in a long term rental

Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Posted May 8 2023, 13:50

Hi All,

Question: Any experience with roof mounted down draft swamp coolers in a long term rental? Is it a hassle? Do tenants operate them properly? Currently have a swamp cooler on a 1150 sqft middle 2bd/2ba townhome. Since it's a middle unit windows are only in the front and back of the house and there's 3 skylights throughout the property. 

My thoughts: I run hot so I'm a hardcore A/C fan and have a ductless unit in the bedroom.  Not in love with the swamp cooler but I've come to at least accept it.  Gets the job done on our primary but not sure it's the best fit on a rental once we move out.  My fear is user error for those unfamiliar with how it works and it's a bit of a manual process to turn the water on/off responsibly.  For future tenants, I'll pay the water bill and then it will be billed back tenants. The swamp cooler also requires at least 2 roof visits each year (start-up/winterize). I don't mind these since we live here but not sure I'd be up for this work after we move out.

Options:

- Do nothing and self-service 2x each year.  Could do interior inspection at the same time as well.

- Hire out summer/winter maintenance or a portion of.

- Install new ductless on the roof or front of the house ($8K-$10K).

- Mobile window unit but it would have to be pretty powerful and cool ~833 Sq Ft. ($700)

- Looked into central heat/air but the cost isn't justifiable since ductwork is needed

- Something else?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and feedback.  Always appreciate the help from this community. 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied May 8 2023, 14:12

spit unit! Swap coolers are not the best.... water leaking, only work when its cooler- not geared for the climate changes and hotter summers we are seeing. 

User Stats

Votes
Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Replied May 8 2023, 16:48

Yeah, I think you may be right Melissa.  We love our split unit in the bedroom and are considering getting another.  It is a problem that the swamp cooler can only get it down to 70 (if lucky) on really hot days.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 9 2023, 06:00
Quote from @Marcus R.:

Swamp coolers work great and it's not hard to figure out (crack a window on the opposite end of the house!) or maintain. I would service it twice a year when you inspect.

If you decide to replace it, a mini-split would be the best option.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Replied May 9 2023, 10:39

Agreed, thanks Nathan. If it's still working, I'll be sure to go slow at move-in and make sure people know how it works.  It's mainly the new Denver-rites who may be unfamiliar since it's specific to certain regions.

User Stats

Votes
John C.
Votes |

@Marcus R.

If it is working, let it work, maintain it and SAVE for a ductless system when the current one dies.

Let the tenant use a window unit if they want to provide one and use it.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Replied May 9 2023, 16:24

Fair enough.  Makes sense John.  This thing keeps on humming along and the parts are fairly cheap/easy to replace so not a bad idea to continue to ride it out. 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Guimond
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 10 2023, 06:50

@Marcus R. keep us posted on what you decide to do. We're househacking a duplex and currently living in the swamp cooler side. We don't love it, but it gets the job done. We were JUST talking about this last night and are strongly considering the mini-split/heat pump option. We don't have central duct work on our side (but the other side does). Would love to hear what you end up doing!

West + Main Homes Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Replied May 10 2023, 08:46

Will do!  It will probably be another year or two before an update (we're enjoying the low mortgage payment).  I was raising this question early because if we go through the expense of a mini split I at least want to enjoy the benefits so the cost easier to justify.

I'd recommend at least one mini split in the furthest or hottest room.  For us it was the primary bedroom.  Made a huge difference because we can now keep that door closed so the swamp cooler air can focus on the rest of the house.  The problem is I think its probably more economical to install mujtliple units at once then have them put in individually.

@Brittany Guimond what class duplex is this?  Our townhome is B class (Five Points) and most properties have central heat/air so we're behind in that category.  It also makes it tougher to go with the window unit option. 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Guimond
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 10 2023, 11:25

@Brittany Guimond what class duplex is this?  Our townhome is B class (Five Points) and most properties have central heat/air so we're behind in that category.  It also makes it tougher to go with the window unit option. 

@Marcus R. good point! We've also got a solid B class property and most of the surrounding properties have central A/C. I like your point about investing in it and enjoying it while you can to justify the cost. I think we'll at least explore the mini-split option and budget accordingly. Thanks!

West + Main Homes Logo