General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mark Weins
Votes |
5 Million in Rentals or 5 million in stocks

Mark Weins
Posted May 25 2023, 21:08

If I was retiring with 5 million dollars in the bank, and I could only invest all my money into either stocks or a real estate portfolio, I fail to see how one would decide to invest the money into real estate. The S&P 500 index can average 10% returns per year on average with 0 work involved, while owning real estate/rentals is an active business.

Owning 5 million dollars of real estate from what i've researched, you can make 250k a year from rental income, unless you get 5% appreciation on property value per year (assuming you have 20% equity and a 25 million dollar portfolio) then you would earn 1.5 mill in yearly property value increase + 250k rentals.

Assuming I am retired and the RE rentals are my only source of income would the 4% yearly depreciation (1 mill for 25 mill portfolio) mean that I avoid getting taxed entirely if my rental earnings + selling properties is equal to under 1million dollars?

If this scenario is true then investing in stocks I would make 500k per year, but with real estate I would make 250k a year through rental income, 1.5 million each year in property appreciation, and have untaxed income for anything under 1 million dollars a year.

Is this true?

Loading replies...