Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
What type of housing problems are in the future due to the increased border crossings

Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Posted Feb 29 2024, 17:00

Right now , rates are higher than they have been in a while . prices are up on Real Estate around the country . Insurance rates , rents , utilities are higher .  Now there are an estimated 5 million people who have crossed the border .  Well they will need a place to live ( besides hotels ) . 

Without a job ,  or a credit report and all the other necessary info they cant pass a background check .

Will the government make it illegal to do back ground checks ?

Many more questions to be asked , but those are the basics .

To put this into some perspective , Baltimore has a population of about 650,000 . At one time in the late 50s it was around 1 million .  How do you think this will affect landlords , and investing in general .    

Try as hard as possible to leave political parties out of this , but general politics for a region should be ok . 

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Mar 12 2024, 14:09
Quote from @Devin Scott:
Quote from @Ken M.:
Quote from @Devin Scott

@Mark Cruse:

Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Anyone who thinks this is a real problem for real estate investors - what is the actual problem you foresee?  Because I don't get it.  

You are in charge of doing your own background checks.  And you will never, never, never be required to rent to someone here illegally, so let's do away with that false premise.

@Devin Scott: Your Comment: "And you will never, never, never be required to rent to someone here illegally" is very ill-informed. (and laughable, sorry.)

https://www.avail.co/education/articles/first-in-line-renter...

Wow! Haven't read the laws of WA, OR & CA I guess. Time to read the landlord tenant laws in the major cities before you make comments like that, no offence.

Housing Discrimination

https://ipropertymanagement.com/laws/landlord-tenant-rights

"Also, many states (and even some cities) supplement these federal regulations with their own set of protected classes. Recently, more states have adopted protections based upon sexual orientation and gender identity, for example. Some states have even tried to address more emergent forms of discrimination, including based on immigration status."

They are not checked for disease at the boarder, they are given airplane flights to your city with no TSA check, (they have no Identification) and are told to report to immigration processing two years from now which less than 1% follow that requirement.

So, bottom line, I've bought houses from illegals, I've sold houses to illegals and I've hired illegals. You can't ask their "immigration" status, at all, period.

I forgot. Since I'm in Arizona and I see this problem (illegals) a lot (by the way we boarder Mexico in case you don't have a globe) and we as a family go see the band the "Merry Achies" at holidays and eat tacos and tortillas, and see Indian hoop dancing, and basket weaving, it isn't about the food or music. It's a great culture.

The schools weren't prepared for so many non-english speaking people arriving. The hospitals don't have enough supplies on hand. The housing is being strained. Home Depot has swelled from a hundred guys looking for work to several hundreds of guys looking for work. Oh, yeah, drugs have dropped 50% in price, there is so much more of it now. Murders and rapes have sky rocketed and child trafficking has gone crazy.  

". . .John Ladd’s cattle ranch in southeastern Arizona. Ladd has also found 14 dead bodies on his farm" 

Wake up and smell the decay. 

It's a frickin' paradise here now, yes it is.

But, It's really about following the law, now isn't it. Well, at least for us it is. ;-)

I see nothing in that link that refutes what I said.  If you're going to claim it does based on the words 'including based on immigration status', I have news for you.  The federal law already prohibits discrimination based on immigration status.  But that does not include someone here illegally.  All that link says is that you need to accept the first person that meets all your requirements.  It's up to you to lay out those requirements, as long as it's within the law, and there's nothing in any law that says you have to allow illegal immigrants to stay in your property.  So you had better come up with something different if you think you're schooling me.  No "offence" (sic).

And with your disgusting rhetoric, you are further plunging this thread into sludge.  

@Devin ScottYour Comment: "The federal law already prohibits discrimination based on immigration status. But that does not include someone here illegally."

???? Wha???

Try reading the entire post:

"Some states have even tried to address more emergent forms of discrimination, including based on immigration status."

That's like saying you can have hot dogs but you can't have weiners. They are the same thing.

For your learned education: 

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/offence-offense/

Offence vs. Offense—What Is the Difference?

Offence and offense are both correct.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 12 2024, 14:54
Quote from @Ken M.:

@Devin ScottYour Comment: "The federal law already prohibits discrimination based on immigration status. But that does not include someone here illegally."

???? Wha???

"Some states have even tried to address more emergent forms of discrimination, including based on immigration status."

That's like saying you can have hot dogs but you can't have weiners. They are the same thing.

lol no "offence" is not ok, unless you are outside of the US.  Which based on your rhetoric, you probably have never even been.  So if you live in the US, we say OFFENSE.  If you live somewhere else, e.g. UK, they say OFFENCE.  But whatever, you can claim what you want.

And I did read your entire post and I'm commenting to the entirety of it.  And a single line from an article saying some states are considering protections based on immigration status is neither (a) detailed enough draw a single conclusion from, or (c) attributed to any government source. 

Show me a specific instance where a state or local government is seriously considering requiring people to rent to illegal immigrants.  It is not happening, and it won't happen.  They are way more likely to require landlords to rent to people with bad credit, which is also not happening.  No government is going to say, sure you can turn down people with bad credit but you MUST rent to illegal immigrants.  That's absurd.  There are way more people with bad credit and who haven't broken any law so if there was some sort of desperation around housing they would address that group of people first.
Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Mar 12 2024, 15:09
Quote from @Devin Scott:
Quote from @Ken M.:

???? Wha???

lol no "offence" is not ok, unless you are outside of the US.  Which based on your rhetoric, you probably have never even been.  So if you live in the US, we say OFFENSE.  If you live somewhere else, e.g. UK, they say OFFENCE.  But whatever, you can claim what you want.

And I did read your entire post and I'm commenting to the entirety of it.  And a single line from an article saying some states are considering protections based on immigration status is neither (a) detailed enough draw a single conclusion from, or (c) attributed to any government source. 

Show me a specific instance where a state or local government is seriously considering requiring people to rent to illegal immigrants.  It is not happening, and it won't happen.  They are way more likely to require landlords to rent to people with bad credit, which is also not happening.  No government is going to say, sure you can turn down people with bad credit but you MUST rent to illegal immigrants.  That's absurd.  There are way more people with bad credit and who haven't broken any law so if there was some sort of desperation around housing they would address that group of people first.

Well, since your comments and arguments are not based on reality, and your BIO doesn't say which planet you are from, I submit that you are a troll or AI. I'm not sure which is more amusing, but your advice is cringe worthy and anyone who follows it deserves what they get as a result.

It's been fun, but since there is nowhere to go with someone/something that lacks logic and comprehension and I need a more intellectually worthy adversary to debate with, I bid you farewell or увидимся or Näkemiin or 676F6F64627965 whichever “language” you understand

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Mar 12 2024, 19:08

I think this thread has gone about as far as it can go without getting any uglier.

Topic locked