General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Deep Ron
Votes |
Renting to section 8 / housing vouchers

Deep Ron
Posted Mar 23 2024, 16:17

I am new to real estate , i just purchased my 1st rental house in fort worth, and made it available for renting for about $2100 , i am getting lot of section 8 / voucher's for the house, although i am interested in renting to to section 8 ,  i am confused on what are the minimum income criteria should i look for  ?  most of the calls coming are having only child support  or $1000 to $1700  income per month .  should this be good base line calculation for renting to them .  

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 24 2024, 06:03

First question is to ask them if they're approved today can they pay the deposit today? In cash? If they survive that hurdle the voucher is based on income so the tenant responsibility portion can change. It's 10% of income the tenant pays, I believe, so they should meet your income requirement by virtue of holding the voucher. 

If you want the real deal on how your Section 8 applicant is going to be in your property stop by where they are living now and ask if they have a checklist for the inspection. See how they're living. That is how they will live in your house. That or worse. Never better. There are good ones are really bad ones.

User Stats

Votes
Deep Ron
Votes |
Replied Mar 24 2024, 21:10

Thank you for your reply .

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Preston Dean
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Mar 27 2024, 14:08
Quote from @Deep Ron:

I am new to real estate , i just purchased my 1st rental house in fort worth, and made it available for renting for about $2100 , i am getting lot of section 8 / voucher's for the house, although i am interested in renting to to section 8 ,  i am confused on what are the minimum income criteria should i look for  ?  most of the calls coming are having only child support  or $1000 to $1700  income per month .  should this be good base line calculation for renting to them .  

@Deep Ron

Is the property section 8 approved? I don't believe you can just rent to section 8 without having gone through the approval process

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Brown
  • Investor
  • Springfield MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Springfield MO
Replied Mar 27 2024, 14:24

First congrats on getting your first rental! Section 8 can be great for a few reasons, you get guaranteed rents, the tenants want to keep the benefits so they generally take care of your property. I would be asking if they are approved and what portion of the rent it covers. Most of the time it will be a portion of market rents but won't cover 100%. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 2 2024, 02:58
Quote from @Preston Dean:

Is the property section 8 approved? I don't believe you can just rent to section 8 without having gone through the approval process

A rental becomes Section 8 approved when the landlord accepts an applicant with a HousingChoice voucher and requests their local Housing Authority conduct an inspection. The inspection is repeated either annually or biannually (or anytime the tenant complains). Once the property passes inspection you submit your lease and the Section 8 agreement and you are in business offering government housing.