General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Chris Allen
Votes |
Renting a house on a 6 acre plot

Chris Allen
Posted Mar 26 2024, 12:35

I am going to try and explain my question well, but bear with me.

My parents and I split a 12 acre plot of land.  I built on 6 and they built on 6.  If my mother eventually either passes or moves in with me in her advanced years, I am considering renting her house as my Dad passed last year.  

In the county we built in, 5 acres is the minimum plot size so I cannot split the land at all until legislation/zoning changes.  I would like to have access to as much of the land as possible though in the future.  As a landlord, do I have to provide as part of the lease the entire 6 acres of my mom's land to a renter since that is part of the property of the houseand cannot be subdivided?  Or, can I indicate that the house and an acre of land is part of the rental agreement, and the additional 5 acres is still in my control?

User Stats

Votes
Rob Schou
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern Maryland
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern Maryland
Replied Mar 26 2024, 15:25

I'm in MD in a rural county and have run into this kind of situation before. Short answer is yes, you can limit them to the house and 1 acre. The longer answer is you may end up having to "police" them to make sure they are not using the other acres which may not be feasible. Is there a reason you don't want them on the other 5 acres?

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied Mar 26 2024, 19:01
Quote from @Chris Allen:

I am going to try and explain my question well, but bear with me.

My parents and I split a 12 acre plot of land.  I built on 6 and they built on 6.  If my mother eventually either passes or moves in with me in her advanced years, I am considering renting her house as my Dad passed last year.  

In the county we built in, 5 acres is the minimum plot size so I cannot split the land at all until legislation/zoning changes.  I would like to have access to as much of the land as possible though in the future.  As a landlord, do I have to provide as part of the lease the entire 6 acres of my mom's land to a renter since that is part of the property of the houseand cannot be subdivided?  Or, can I indicate that the house and an acre of land is part of the rental agreement, and the additional 5 acres is still in my control?

Fence in the portion of the lawn that will used by tenants, not sure the exact law, but be clear in your listing, that they cannot use the whole property, tbh idk what someone would need more than say a half acre for, unless there’s like hunting on the property or something.

• Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Allen
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2024, 08:01

Apologies for the slow reply.  I am a Ham Radio operator and I have plans for my 6 acres the additional 5.  We hams like lots of space for projects.