Can I evict for this rule being broken in the lease?

Can I evict for this rule being broken in the lease?

Tim CallahanPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton, ME · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 13 votes

Hi, we have a lease that allows dogs as long as they are on a leash at all times when the dog is outside and on the property.  This is specifically stated in the lease.  It's a safely issue for us, as we live in another unit in the house.  Now I have a tenant who has broken this rule several times, letting their small dog run free everywhere. It ran after a car coming up the driveway the other day and was barking at our guests. 

We have posted warning letters on their door twice now about this.

How would we fare if we started eviction proceedings because the tenant refuses to obey this rule?  

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Tim Callahan:

Yes, you can remove a tenant for lease violations. It's technically a termination of their lease, not an eviction, which would be a court action. You would only evict if they refuse to leave.

I issue a written warning the first time. The second time, I issue a written warning and notify them that another violation will result in termination of their lease. The third time, I give them a 30-day notice of termination and get them out.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    If it is in the lease, I'd let them know they are in violation of the lease and have been given fair warning. Don't post notices, hand them to the tenants and get them to sign a copy stating that they received it and when.  I'd also talk to an attorney.  As you live in part of the unit, the rules may be different (and more on your side).

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tim Callahan:

    Yes, you can remove a tenant for lease violations. It's technically a termination of their lease, not an eviction, which would be a court action. You would only evict if they refuse to leave.

    I issue a written warning the first time. The second time, I issue a written warning and notify them that another violation will result in termination of their lease. The third time, I give them a 30-day notice of termination and get them out.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Tim CallahanPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton, ME · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    Thank you guys.  The tenant is complying now after a couple notices.  They will be out at the end of October, and we are not renewing.   Let's hope we don't need to take any more action at this point.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tim Callahan:

    Thank you guys.  The tenant is complying now after a couple notices.  They will be out at the end of October, and we are not renewing.   Let's hope we don't need to take any more action at this point.


    Thanks for coming back with an update!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    2y

    Glad to see this one worked out for you @Tim Callahan. For any violations of the lease, I would agree with @Nathan Gesner's advice. Any major violation of the lease should be documented and noticed must be written. I would provide a physical copy, email, and even a text/pic for the lease violation. In case, you ever need to go to court, you'll have everything you'll need. 

  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    2y

    Typically, any lease violation can be grounds for eviction so long as your willing to go through the legal cost and process to follow through with it.  Most small violations are met with notices so they can correct behavior so it doesn't lead to that.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.