Votes
Matthew Mucker
  • Ft. Worth, TX
Votes |
Refund of Deposit (Texas)

Matthew Mucker
  • Ft. Worth, TX
Posted Mar 24 2014, 16:41

My last tenant left my house in need of paint that (in my opinion) goes beyond normal wear-and-tear.

If I do the painting myself, what charges are reasonable for my time? Can I charge the tenant what a professional painter bid on the job?

User Stats

Votes
Michele Fischer
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 24 2014, 16:57

I'm not sure about rules in Texas, but we charge the true cost of paint and supplies, plus $20/hour for our time. We keep a log of which day, which person, and what was done. We keep before and after photos.

We try to prepare tenants for the standard of care and cost; best not to have the rate be a surprise. At move in we discuss that paint jobs should not need to be done with under 3 years of tenancy. And when they give notice we let them know our cleaning and repair rate so they are motivated to do it themselves.

Our rates are a little below market price.

The problem with bids is that the judge may throw it out if you didn't proceed with that solution, but I'm not sure.

User Stats

Votes
Bri R.
  • Inspector
  • San Joaquin County, CA
Votes |
  • Inspector
  • San Joaquin County, CA
Replied Mar 24 2014, 17:46

I totally agree with Michele!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 24 2014, 18:01

I have written in my lease the base hourly rate for repairs (excluding licensed trades) . The minimum rate for labor is $ 85.00 per man hour excluding materials . This may seem high to some but in the Central Maryland area this is the general hourly rate of home improvement contractors . I put this in the lease so the tenants know this from the beginning .

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Mar 24 2014, 18:18

In most jurisdictions, you can not charge for Your time, only what you pay out.