General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Down Payents?????

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:51

During these times of tighter lending standards, is it practical to believe that a lending institution will allow a novice investor to purchase a rental property with NO money down if the property comes in well below the appraisal value. This is what I have been told, but I am preparing to have to put down at least 20% to avoid PMI. This may be a repeat topic, but one that need more insite from the board. Especially the novice investors. What have been your experiences lately??

THANKS, Chaz.....

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Replied Sep 17 2007, 02:58

Lenders mostly use the rule that they will lend X% of the appraised value or the sale price, what ever is lower. If you do a great deal and buy way under market the lender just assumes the real value is lower than the appraisal. Why would a seller sell for less than full value?

Maybe more correctly, the lender has a business rule to reduce the risk of fraud or a bad loan. Hence they really do not care if the appraised value is a lot higher as they will just ignore that fact to reduce the risk to them.

Some lenders under particular circumstances will lend on the value. Hard money, a lender who has offered a working line of credit to an investor, a lender who works for the tax assessed value, etc. Not very common but it does happen.

John Corey

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Replied Sep 17 2007, 05:33

I asked because some say they buy far below the market and can there for avoid having to put down money.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Donny Random
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Sep 20 2007, 03:04

Why not get a 'piggy back' loan with a 2nd mortgage so you do not have to pay PMI?