• Investor
  • Albany, GA
Votes |
Potential tenant wants to pay to put up a fence

CL Ziegler
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Posted Jun 10 2014, 08:49

This 3BR house has only been vacant ten days and a lady looked at it and said she will sign the lease if A-- we paint the kitchen a different color, and B-- if we let her put up a chain link fence around the back yard at her own expense.

How does this sound to you guys? Would you go for it?

I'm wondering if there could be a buried hook in here somewhere, just because I am naturally cautious. I wonder if there's a catch. None of my other three houses have fenced yards and they seem to rent out just fine.

Can you help me weigh the pros and cons here? Thanks in advance.

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 10 2014, 08:53

Here in Dallas if a tenant adds anything to a property it must stay when the tenant move out but if the tenant sues you, the landlord will need to compensation tenant. It is better the landlord to install it.

Joe Gore

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jun 10 2014, 09:12

It's up to you and how comfortable you feel with the tenant. In my experience, when they start to ask for things before they have even been approved and/or have signed a lease it may be a preview of what is yet to come. Best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sergio B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jun 10 2014, 10:27

I'll look for another tenant, this one seems to be high maintenance.

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Jun 10 2014, 10:52

Reasons why applicants and/or tenants of ours have asked for a fence: Unauthorized Dog, Unlicensed Day Care Business, Children of their own.

Chain link fence? Dogs or other animals is my guess. If they wanted the fence for privacy, it would have been a different type of fence.

I would say no. Tell her the unit will rent as is. I'm curious... why does she want the fence?

Account Closed
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 10 2014, 11:02

Is the reason for wanting the fence legitimate? If so, I'd make sure they are capable of doing a professional job. Have they put up fences before? Or, are they handy in construction? Confirm what materials they're using? If you don't have confidence that they're capable of doing it professionally? Then tell them ok but they will have to pay for it and tell it has to be done by a licensed contractor and that you have to approve the contractor and construction of the fence in advance.

User Stats

Votes
CL Ziegler
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 06:17

Thank you for your answers everyone! ... @Joe Gore @Rachel H. @Sergio B. @Marcia Maynard @Scott Hearne

Your opinions were very helpful. I decided to offer her the property 'as is' and go from there. For a moment I was enticed by someone adding cash to my property for free, but now I see it could open up a can of worms and backfire on me. Not to mention the high maintenance element Rachel, Sergio and Marcia pointed out.

So, again thanks for the input. It means a lot!

User Stats

Votes
John K.
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Replied May 18 2015, 19:22

I would let a tenant put up a fence as well as it is being put up by a known installer, meets all city requirements with setbacks, etc.  It only adds value, especially if you allow small dogs.  

Account Closed
  • Mother/ Administartor for Acropolis Fencing
  • Christchurch, Canterbury
Votes |
Replied May 18 2015, 20:05

Ok guess he question is do u want to control ur property or will u let her, if I was in that situation I wud decline based on the fact that I wud feel like she is taking control.
I agree with the previous pigs about a preview for what is to come lol. Sounds like a difficult person. That's just my opinion of course
All the best tho!

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied May 18 2015, 21:42
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Ok guess he question is do u want to control ur property or will u let her, if I was in that situation I wud decline based on the fact that I wud feel like she is taking control.
I agree with the previous pigs about a preview for what is to come lol. Sounds like a difficult person. That's just my opinion of course
All the best tho!

LOL I think your phone's spell check has run amok.  It's calling our brilliant BP posters "pigs."  LOL  

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied May 18 2015, 21:48

@Sue K.

Oh no's LOL what a shocker!...my bad!

Ok not pigs, I mean posts, sorry lazy txting on my behalf and then u have predictive just  initiative! LOL heck thanks for pointing that out Sue

User Stats

Votes
Barbara G.
  • Hartsdale, NY
Votes |
  • Hartsdale, NY
Replied Nov 28 2015, 08:18

Well I love fences.  i love them because they keep children safer. I love them because  They keep dogs in.  They also keep stray or loose dogs out.  They give renters more privacy and more of a feeling that they have private space.  They also add to the value of my property.  I would even consider sharing the cost.  I would certainly consider saying Yes.  And   Ask them why.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Nov 28 2015, 09:37

We split a fence with a tenant one time but it was about a pool.  The yard was fenced with the pool inside which was code but since the tenant had children I wanted the pool fenced separately.  The tenant offered to pay for this and we agreed to split.  If fencing is about dogs or kids and I was thinking about doing it anyway I might agree to the fence.  Did you ask her why?

Also, why repaint the kitchen?  Is it not a neutral color?  If it is I would  consider this a flag for the future more so then the fence. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes