Body of Arkansas Real Estate Agent Found: Hits home as I have to show by myself

115 Replies

A gun in the hands of a well trained individual do nothing when that individual has the element of surprise. If you are relying on your gun to keep you safe, you are a fool, and someone is going to get hurt or killed. Caution is what keeps you safe, and the would-be attacker knowing that they will not get away with shenanigans is what prevents attacks.

When I sold cars, we would copy the test-driver's ID before any car left the lot. Could a cautious Realtor do the same before showing houses?

@Tyrus Shivers As far as bird-dogging in Baltimore City, looking at vacants, etc.,

I would never go alone and I would never go at night and without my trusty 4 D-Cell Maglite.

@Amanda Young 

There are a lot of crazy people out there that don't really care for anyone else, and enjoy causing harm to someone else. It is terrible, but true. A lot of other bad things can happen to people during daily activities that could cause physical harm to them and could lead to death. I believe that if you feel you will live in fear, or in peace if you take some steps to protect yourself, it's a small price to pay.  

It sucks to know the world is like this; however, I agree that selfdefense classes are a good way to protect yourself along with a lot of other ways (i.e. handgun, pepper spray, or taser). You could only show the house in the day like you stated, tell someone where and when the showing is, or bring someone along. I believe if you truly are kinda shaken up about this the possible deterrents that you could setup are endless. 

Either way, I think you shouldn't live in fear, even if you went through a traumatic experience. Just be careful and take precautions.

Peter 

I'm surprised by some of these responses, especially the "gain 200 pounds" remark. First of all, to take that literally, at 5'0" and 295, she would die of a heart attack before a violent assault. The fact that anyone blames the victim of a crime always appals me. This is America. As long as you're not infringing on someone else's rights, you should be able to do whatever you want. This whole mentality of "what was she wearing when she was raped", or "why is she showing homes alone" is ridiculous. Criminals need to be dealt with.

Like Joel, I train in Krav Maga and really enjoy it. You not only learn how to defend yourself, but also how to take weapons away from people. They have morning classes if you don't have "three nights a week". It's way more fun than working out at a boring gym, excellent cardio exercise, and you learn how to save your life. I also carry a gun. You're in Florida. Getting a license to carry a gun is as easy as getting a drivers license.

I hope everyone stays safe and keeps aware of their surroundings. Use your judgment. Profile everyone. If something seems off, leave the scene.

Where I am at Krav Maga in Canton, GA unlimited classes are 100 a month.

Brad owning a gun is not a one time cost. Driving to the range, and buying ammo with range time is expensive.

I am not against weapons.

The simple fact is weapons are not allowed in many places or venues but your arms and legs stay with you. If you practice with a gun all the time and you can't take it in a venue or place and you have had no training with your body then what will you do then?? Point an imaginary air gun at someone and go bang, bang?? lol Just kidding.

The point is people need to learn how to use their bodies to defend first. Depending on weapons that will not be on you all the time for every situation doesn't make sense.

What was the $299. gun you bought?

stephen
------------

Originally posted by @Brad Clarizio:

Joel- consider the financial investment into that as well. You have to think, not everyone can afford these courses. I don't think she is unwilling to invest in herself just because she doesn't want to take a course. I think that's a bit unfair. 

I did a CCW course for $100 and spent $299 on a gun. A $400 one time cost with little to no time investment, vs. a course that takes 3 hours a week and probably $75 a week for them. You have to weigh the options and realize that not everyone can do that.

I do agree that a gun isn't always the answer and is great in theory. I however, thought to myself "if I am in this situation, would I rather A) Have a gun or B) Not have a gun. Chances are, A is your answer 99% of the time. 

Originally posted by @Leigh C:

You can choose to live in fear or not.    All actions in life carry a risk.    Something like 15,000 people are murdered each year?      100k people die each year because a doctor/nurse messed up, should you not go to the doctor now too?      

I get what you say saying and there is no sense in being reckless, but take into account the real risks and act accordingly.   Don't just knee jerk because they found a pretty girl to put up on the TV.   

Then again, i'm 6' tall 250lbs and hairy....nobody wants to kidnap and rape me so I suppose this is easy to say.

As a female w/ a RE license who often looks at vacant properties, I agree w/ Amanda.  It's not about living in fear, though; although all actions in life do carry a risk, you do what you can to prevent things to the best of your ability.  Will it be 100% effective? Maybe, maybe not--but hey, you do what you can to protect yourself & stay alert.  There's no guarantee I won't get killed in a car accident, God forbid--but best believe I wear my seat belt every time! 

But back to viewing/showing properties, I keep my "lipstick" taser w/ me, always clear the house first (on the outside, then on the inside), take a friend if possible, and always let others know where I'll be & at what time. And this was way before that agent was found dead--because RE can be a dangerous profession, unfortunately.  It is what it is.

Amanda-You will laugh when you see this defense toy BUT try it!

Early morning’s dog and I go for our walk and sometimes we meet up with big, off lease, unattended, unfriendly DOGS.

I carry a small 6” boat horn that easily fit in my pocket or your purse. $8 at Wal-Mart. No license needed. The one time I had to use it was on a big unattended dog that got way to close so I pressed the button (compressed air) and he emptied his bowels before he got his legs going away from us shaking his head..

Don’t test it in the house or near kids. It is so LOUD if used on people it will disorient them just long enough for you to escape. Tell your friends-you won’t be disappointed.

Regards-Foster

@Amanda Young  Do you have a link to the article reported? 

Depending upon where one lives in the country, states rights for conceal and carry will vary.   I support the NRA and I believe in our Bill of Rights and the 2nd Amendment, and if you feel threatened - protect yourself. 

@Karen Margrave  

I was living in Napa valley when the Polly Class crime happened.. and I was commuting to PDX for my timber business.. I went and bought a Sheperd.. and that was the best dog a person could possibly have.. no one was getting into our house with her there end of discussion.. Bring here to open houses would have been a challenge.. My wife being a RE broker for 25 years has had to deal with this.. and there are things you do to protect yourself ... but end of the day if you have a shepherd at your side someone is going to have to go to great lengths to get by that dog.

Joel- consider the financial investment into that as well. You have to think, not everyone can afford these courses. I don't think she is unwilling to invest in herself just because she doesn't want to take a course. I think that's a bit unfair. 

I did a CCW course for $100 and spent $299 on a gun. A $400 one time cost with little to no time investment, vs. a course that takes 3 hours a week and probably $75 a week for them. You have to weigh the options and realize that not everyone can do that.

I do agree that a gun isn't always the answer and is great in theory. I however, thought to myself "if I am in this situation, would I rather A) Have a gun or B) Not have a gun. Chances are, A is your answer 99% of the time. 

I agree regarding the cost.  I am paying monthly for martial arts lessons for my daughter PLUS testing fees every few months.  Also an annual fee. 

If someone isn't comfortable with a gun, a taser gun can work pretty good. Dogs are great too. Someone would have a pretty hard time dragging you off if you have a well trained German Sheppard. I've had a few over the years, and they are very protective. 

@Amanda Young I hear many good advise from other posters already. I live in Canada. So carrying a gun is not permitted here.

Below is a true story, when you have to fight off your attacker, fight like a tiger.

Fear is such a funny word. I used to be a very skinny guy. 120 lbs & 5'9".

This story went back 24 years ago, I owned a restaurant with a bar in downtown. I have self taught martial arts for many years. Parents will not allowed me to train when I was young. At that time, I was working both in the restaurant and as a RE broker. One Tuesday night, after I finished my RE work & went back to work in the restaurant, 8 gang members came in and try to extort from my restaurant, they turned tables upside down, scaring all customers away, throwing chairs. Just like a set for the movies.

I was mad & have more fear(concern) for the safety of my wife, my mom, my employees & my customers. After I knew the customers, employees are safely hiding or left the building. There were only 3 of us facing the 8 gang members. My wife, my brother & myself. One gang member took my glasses away & when My wife tried to take that away from him. He punched my wife. At that moment, My fear was gone & replaced with anger and power. Long story short.

Even I had not practice my martial arts for 15 years. It came back. all 8 left with some sort of injury on them. It took the police 16 minutes to arrive after they all left. Then I was told they went to China Town & extort 2 other restaurants.

It was the first time I knew the meaning of HATE, after that incidence I have faced gun(just once), knives, brass knuckles, screw drivers, you name it.

I have turn my fear into a power whenever I face a situation like that; from that day on. Now I teach martial arts on the weekend in our community center(non-profit).

One more thing, you only have 3 seconds to finish an attacker if you are smaller. It has to be FAST & ACCURATE.

Your son, or one of his friends has more of a risk of getting hurt/killed by your new gun than anyone trying to hurt you.   Yes, i know if you lock it up in a vault he can't get to it and yes, i know you can teach your kid not to do it.    However far more kids get hurt by guns than robbers get shot.

I obviously previously was joking about gaining 200 lbs, and yes, most of my points come off as me being a jerk or worse. I suppose my blunt extreme way of trying to show a point makes me out to be one.   

With that said, Amanda you are in Spring Hill,....get a copy of their license via text/email and then just give them the lockbox code. If they like the house, meet them down the street at mcdonalds and meet them later. Use your son as an excuse as to why you aren't meeting them at the property if they bother to ask, "he is hungry and i'm really pressed for time". If they are scumbags and knock a few holes in the walls than consider yourself lucky you didn't have to worry about actually meeting them in person. Lazy REO agents have been trusting complete strangers for years :)

Originally posted by @Amanda Young:

We are surprised at the tone and rudeness.   

Thank you for speaking up for other people whom you have never met in person and know nothing about. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Mocking me for standing outside with my phone and pepper spray was rude and uncalled for. Saying that I would complain when I become a victim just because I was not will to learn to protect myself was down right mean.

And like my loving mother used to say "Sometimes the truth hurts." Deal with it.

I was attacked and didn't think I was going to make it. It's taken a few years for me not become spooked at every little thing. Pepper spray and someone along when possible. I liked the idea @Leigh C  had of just staying outside. Way outside. It doesn't have to be dark for a crazy to attack. It doesn't have to be anything special about anything. If they are crazy, they just are. Wrong place, wrong situation. They are a person that doesn't have any respect for anyone other than themselves. I was hoping she was just held captive, but alive. So sad, I fell for her for what she went through, and her family and close friends.

Originally posted by @F Foster:

Amanda-You will laugh when you see this defense toy BUT try it!

Early morning’s dog and I go for our walk and sometimes we meet up with big, off lease, unattended, unfriendly DOGS.

I carry a small 6” boat horn that easily fit in my pocket or your purse. $8 at Wal-Mart. No license needed. The one time I had to use it was on a big unattended dog that got way to close so I pressed the button (compressed air) and he emptied his bowels before he got his legs going away from us shaking his head..

Don’t test it in the house or near kids. It is so LOUD if used on people it will disorient them just long enough for you to escape. Tell your friends-you won’t be disappointed.

Regards-Foster

What a great idea, thank you!

Originally posted by @Vonetta Booker:
Originally posted by @Leigh C:

You can choose to live in fear or not.    All actions in life carry a risk.    Something like 15,000 people are murdered each year?      100k people die each year because a doctor/nurse messed up, should you not go to the doctor now too?      

I get what you say saying and there is no sense in being reckless, but take into account the real risks and act accordingly.   Don't just knee jerk because they found a pretty girl to put up on the TV.   

Then again, i'm 6' tall 250lbs and hairy....nobody wants to kidnap and rape me so I suppose this is easy to say.

As a female w/ a RE license who often looks at vacant properties, I agree w/ Amanda.  It's not about living in fear, though; although all actions in life do carry a risk, you do what you can to prevent things to the best of your ability.  Will it be 100% effective? Maybe, maybe not--but hey, you do what you can to protect yourself & stay alert.  There's no guarantee I won't get killed in a car accident, God forbid--but best believe I wear my seat belt every time! 

But back to viewing/showing properties, I keep my "lipstick" taser w/ me, always clear the house first (on the outside, then on the inside), take a friend if possible, and always let others know where I'll be & at what time. And this was way before that agent was found dead--because RE can be a dangerous profession, unfortunately.  It is what it is.

Where do you get a lipstick taser??

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

@Amanda Young You might want to get a German Sheppard and take him along with you on showings too. I hope you read the link I had in my previous post it has some great ideas. 

I read them, had some good ideas! Hope the other ladies read it too, and guys :) Crazy world we live in :(

Originally posted by @Aaron Mazzrillo:
Originally posted by @Amanda Young:

We are surprised at the tone and rudeness.   

Thank you for speaking up for other people whom you have never met in person and know nothing about. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Mocking me for standing outside with my phone and pepper spray was rude and uncalled for. Saying that I would complain when I become a victim just because I was not will to learn to protect myself was down right mean.

And like my loving mother used to say "Sometimes the truth hurts." Deal with it.

@Stephen S.  : I purchased a Ruger LC9. $299 brand new from Gander Mountain. 9mm ammo- a box of 50 self defense ammo was another $25, and I bought 250 practice rounds for another low price. I go to the range once every $6 and paid my $12 entry fee to freshen up. Otherwise, it's about as low cost as it gets. 

That's a nice price.  I tend to only shoot .22 now because I can shoot 500 rounds for $30. or so.  And CCI makes a 60 grain round which hits amazingly hard.

People laugh at me for carrying a .22 - saying;  what are you going to do with that little peashooter?  But I always tell them that a round in each eye will stop pretty much anyone. <g>

People always talk about stopping power but being able to get in lots of range time is much more important I think.

stephen
-------------

@Stephen S. : I purchased a Ruger LC9. $299 brand new from Gander Mountain. 9mm ammo- a box of 50 self defense ammo was another $25, and I bought 250 practice rounds for another low price. I go to the range once every $6 and paid my $12 entry fee to freshen up. Otherwise, it's about as low cost as it gets. 

The whole situation in Arkansas is terrible and tragic. My prayers go out to her family. The world unfortunately has some very sick people in it and people need to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Woman if showing vacant homes by themselves should get as much documentation on potential buyers as possible prior to meeting them. If possible take someone with you to the showings.