Body of Arkansas Real Estate Agent Found: Hits home as I have to show by myself

115 Replies

Originally posted by @Leigh C:

Your son, or one of his friends has more of a risk of getting hurt/killed by your new gun than anyone trying to hurt you.   Yes, i know if you lock it up in a vault he can't get to it and yes, i know you can teach your kid not to do it.    However far more kids get hurt by guns than robbers get shot.

I obviously previously was joking about gaining 200 lbs, and yes, most of my points come off as me being a jerk or worse. I suppose my blunt extreme way of trying to show a point makes me out to be one.   

I don't have any intention of getting in a argument or debate about gun rights on this forum.

Those statistics are drastically misrepresented by the anti-gun lobbyist and down right lies. To make a long story short and partially told, they include gang bangers in their 20's killing each other as children, hardly junior finding a gun and accidently shooting someone, gun safety and proper storage of upmost importance. And out of the millions of self defense scenarios with a firearm every year many of the would be crooks are never shot because the gun defuses the situation.

@Amanda Young 

I'm inclined to think that taking a CPL/CCW course and finding a manageable handgun is the way to go, especially if this is a long-term plan of yours.  You're wise to think about all this and while this story is certainly tragic, it does serve to assist people just like you in making informed decisions.  Being an attractive woman of petite stature can defintely be a disadvantage in an aggressive or violent confrontation.  In most cases, incidents like this are crimes of opportunity, not planning, so even if you take steps to get information prior, it isn't a certainty that you'll be safe.  Self defense education is another idea, and while classes in person are definitely better than anything else, if you're schedule is limited (for obvious reasons :), then look into DVD's and books, both of which can be done while the kids are asleep.  If you want a few recommendations, message me and I'll get you some.

Stay safe!

@Amanda Young As an agent, I get it! And being vigilant includes thinking through possibilities when you're meeting a stranger at an unoccupied property.  Another good reason to really try and qualify Buyers - make sure they are legit. 

I have asked -  in the past, and should start again-  for them to snap a photo of their ID and email/text it to me. I say it's company policy to leave the info with the office admin when we go out. Not true at all, but maybe it puts people on notice. 

We are having a HUGE problem in our area right now with thieves targeting open houses. It's pretty much impossible to screen people off the street when you're inviting the public to come in. You can do all the screening you want, but knowing how to fight AND carrying a weapon(s) should be something that you do.

Originally posted by @Kasey Villareal:

@Amanda Young As an agent, I get it! And being vigilant includes thinking through possibilities when you're meeting a stranger at an unoccupied property.  Another good reason to really try and qualify Buyers - make sure they are legit. 

I have asked -  in the past, and should start again-  for them to snap a photo of their ID and email/text it to me. I say it's company policy to leave the info with the office admin when we go out. Not true at all, but maybe it puts people on notice. 

I would suggest it become a company policy, but as a former agent myself I know agents often show properties at times when no one is in the office.  Some of the smaller brokers don't even have a full time admin.

Originally posted by @Aaron Mazzrillo:
Originally posted by @David R.:
Originally posted by @Aaron Mazzrillo:
Originally posted by @Amanda Young:

My apologizes. I didn't know this was a popularity contest. I must be on the wrong website.

Based on your vote count, it is obvious that you are a solid contributor on BP.  However, in this case you were being a jerk.  @Leigh at least acknowledged he was coming off that way.  You could have stated your opinion without mocking Amanda.  Considering the topic, your comment was in poor taste.

I'd take this a step closer.  Always meet at the office before going to view a property.  Seems to me anytime I've tried to use a new agent it's always first at the office and then we go see the any properties.  

For a landlord(or lady): Since there are a lot of Internet Scammers out there, I wouldn't list addresses on any marketing, and state, we can meet at the local Starbucks and then you can follow me over there.  It protects you and your investment.

Whatever tools anyone wants to use to employ the key is practice.

A 400 pound police officer out of shape is going to have limited effectiveness just like someone taking the arts for decades that teaches but no longer trains and is fat and out of shape.

It's not what you learn it's HOW you implement it. You can go to a nutrition class to learn how to eat right and afterwards if you do not actively use what you have learned you will still be fat and doing the same things you were before.

One of my favorite sayings is APPLIED ACCURATE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

You have to make sure the info you are learning is correct and then implement what you learn to get the benefits from it.

Just trying to get everyone to understand all these do dads are not the magic pill to defend yourself.

I am glad this discussion is at least getting everyone THINKING about self defense whether with weapons or using your body or both.    

Originally posted by @Troy Fisher:

I'd take this a step closer.  Always meet at the office before going to view a property.  Seems to me anytime I've tried to use a new agent it's always first at the office and then we go see the any properties.  

For a landlord(or lady): Since there are a lot of Internet Scammers out there, I wouldn't list addresses on any marketing, and state, we can meet at the local Starbucks and then you can follow me over there.  It protects you and your investment.

I think it is important to have multiple options available, especially for a realtor.  I think an agent needs to be more flexible than a landlord.  I think if an agent required buyers to come to the office first, they would likely lose clients.  My agent's office is 20 minutes away with light traffic, 40+ minutes during rush hour.  Not very convenient for an after work showing, especially for a buyer with kids. 

I think it is important to have multiple options available, especially for a realtor.  I think an agent needs to be more flexible than a landlord.  I think if an agent required buyers to come to the office first, they would likely lose clients.  My agent's office is 20 minutes away with light traffic, 40+ minutes during rush hour.  Not very convenient for an after work showing, especially for a buyer with kids. 

I think you are very right.  My husband and I currently have 3 houses in escrow right now and one of the three is with a listing agent that we had never met before my husband called and made the appointment to see the house.  The new agent's office is about a 25 minute drive from my house and the listing we wanted to view is less than a mile from our house.  My husband would never have driven 25 minutes out of his way to meet her at her office and then drive 25 minutes back to our original neighborhood to see a house.  Time is a valuable commodity and my husband would have just called one of the other agents we have used previously to show us the house.

On the other hand, someone pointed out that they wouldn't show someone a house that did not have either a letter from a lender showing pre-approval or a letter from their bank showing proof of funds.  All 3 properties we currently have in escrow are all 3 cash sales and I would never show proof of funds to be shown a $200k house.  I have no problem doing so when, and if, I choose to place an offer (and the proof of funds would be for the exact amount of my offer -- no more), but I would never show my cards like that when it comes to just a showing.

It is a horrible thing that happened to the agent in Arkansas, but I do think that people have to think of ways to protect themselves without making it inconvenient for the clients.  I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but I just think it is a reality.

The first time you meet an agent.  Not every time.  Once they become a known commodity you worry less about being safe.  Because they have already gone through the necessary steps.

Originally posted by @Julia Blythe:

I think you are very right.  My husband and I currently have 3 houses in escrow right now and one of the three is with a listing agent that we had never met before my husband called and made the appointment to see the house.  The new agent's office is about a 25 minute drive from my house and the listing we wanted to view is less than a mile from our house.  My husband would never have driven 25 minutes out of his way to meet her at her office and then drive 25 minutes back to our original neighborhood to see a house.  Time is a valuable commodity and my husband would have just called one of the other agents we have used previously to show us the house.

On the other hand, someone pointed out that they wouldn't show someone a house that did not have either a letter from a lender showing pre-approval or a letter from their bank showing proof of funds.  All 3 properties we currently have in escrow are all 3 cash sales and I would never show proof of funds to be shown a $200k house.  I have no problem doing so when, and if, I choose to place an offer (and the proof of funds would be for the exact amount of my offer -- no more), but I would never show my cards like that when it comes to just a showing.

It is a horrible thing that happened to the agent in Arkansas, but I do think that people have to think of ways to protect themselves without making it inconvenient for the clients.  I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but I just think it is a reality.

Sure time is a commodity.  But what we are talking about here is a way for agents to ensure that they have more time!  Aka how not to be hurt and or killed.  If I didn't know you or your husband from any Dick, Jane or Mary, and you refused to show a proof of funds or Pre-Approval... and refused go meet with them to ensure safety I would wager its not safe for the agent.  I'd rather that then realtors carrying around concealed weapons!  Yikes! Or bringing pit bulls to client showings.  Is a (potential) $5,000 commission worth risking your life?  Probably not.  

Also there's no reason it has to be at the office.  But some public place where it adds a safety net.

@Troy Fisher  

You make valid points and meeting at a convenient public place is definitely more reasonable than asking a client to drive out of their way for an office visit.  Safety is important, but the reality is the measures taken can not be a major inconvenience or they will lose clients. 

I am not a fan of the proof of funds prior to being shown a property, and I would just move on to a different agent if it was a requirement. 

Account Closed 

Not a fan of the proof of funds as I'm showing a rental. Mine is rented so I wont have to worry with this until the lease is up or for my next purchase. Here is my list of what I'll be doing:

(of course vet them on the phone first, this is AFTER all that)

Multiple showings at the same time- I like this for a number of reasons

Never at night

Try to have someone with me at the multiple showing

Pepper spray

Still considering the hand gun (will make my dad happy)

Looking into self defense classes (time is an issue here)

There are more items and I cant think of them right now, but the big one is not showing alone.

glad to see your considering the hand gun..... People with knives can always get shot you don't want to being pepper spray to a gun fight...

LC9 is a good choice however it has a bit of a kick for 9mm if your used to a bigger frame gun so a 22 would be easier to become accurate in and it won't cost you a fortune to practice BUT I DO RECOMMEND THE LC9 many say 22 is a bad self defense and personally I would cary a judge....

You can order a belt clip attachment for the LC9 on Amazon it takes 5 min to install and you can holster it in your waistband with no actual holster or keep clipped to a specific inside pocket of your purse so you always know where it is

Be safe and practice makes perfect so join a range club if you can't shoot in your yard :)