Potential Property Management company is only open 16 hours a week...

13 Replies

Hello BP...

I am looking at a MF property out of state and the property already has a Property Management company handling the day to day. I tried to contact them, and to my surprise, they are only open 4 days a week, and for only 4 hours each of those days. They may in fact be on top of everything and may have 24 hour handymen at their disposal, but I can not confirm that, as I have yet to reach them during business hours. My question is... does anyone operate or employ a Property Manager that holds similar hours, or would it seem more likely to have them 5 days a week, standard 9-5 hours?

[email protected] | NJ Agent # 0565737 - NRS REFERRAL SERVICES, LLC

huh, I surely have heard of those type of pm before, even lived in a complex with one. noone could ever reach them even within that 4hrs on-duty timeframe that they told everyone they operated. They always had their assistant in the office who knew nothing and only took messages. I'm not saying that's your pm's m.o. but it might be.

Kudos,

Mary 

Jon, 

I run a PM company here in FL and I only wish I was available 4 days a week for 4 hours a day! I am really available from 8-8 every day but will always return calls/emails after that time if something is time sensitive. We do also have a 24 hour hotline tenants can call for maintenance requests so that alleviates the calls outside of regular business hours. 

Unfortunately in the PM business the 9-5 hours don't really apply. You can try to just work those hours but that never works out! 

@Jon Huber  

I work with a property management company in Birmingham, Alabama. It kinda depends on how many units they manage. We manage over 850 single-family homes so those hours certainly would never work for us. And they must have some system in place for maintenance requests outside of those hours. If they don't, I can't imagine how they keep tenants happy.

@Mary B.   I am sure this affected the tenant approval rating... did this lead to you ultimately leaving?

@Brandon M.   Thanks for the feedback. I'd appreciate if the mgmt company was 8-8. I can't imagine how something can be done 16 hours a week, but perhaps that is only for admin work. Still though... leads me to question things

@Deedee Assaad  You are absolutely right. When I go and look at the property, one of the things I am going to ask is if I can speak with the tenants. I would definitely want happy people in my units.

Originally posted by @Jon Huber :

@Brandon M.  Thanks for the feedback. I'd appreciate if the mgmt company was 8-8. I can't imagine how something can be done 16 hours a week, but perhaps that is only for admin work. Still though... leads me to question things

I can't claim I work every day from 8-8, more like like I am available during those times. Or really, I am pretty much available as long as I am awake. My phone is always attached to my hip. 

I would definitely look for another PM company if that is the impression they are giving you. Sounds like someone just looking to collect a paycheck for minimal work to me. 

Originally posted by @Jon Huber :

@Mary B.  I am sure this affected the tenant approval rating... did this lead to you ultimately leaving?

It surely had a big part in my decision to go because I had situations to address with the pm and with him never being around to rectify them was quite frustrating and downright poor customer service. It showed me that all he was interested in was getting a signed lease and my money but not honoring any of the pm responsibilities. 

Funny thing though as I was submitting my written 30day notice so were 2 other tenants. There was a line to get out of that place.

Kudos,

Mary

@Mary B.   Thank you for sharing your story. I can see how this would have an obvious affect on the tenants. 

@Dawn Brenengen   I was pretty surprised as you were. I was able to get in touch with a their handyman who seems to be available during normal hours, but he wasn't able t answer a lot of the questions I had. Whether the office is open or not, it is nice to know that at least someone (repairman or not), can be reached. I think I will be looking into new PMs... if I decide to put an offer on the place.