Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Alex Walsh
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
South Florida Eviction: How long could it take?

Alex Walsh
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jan 27 2015, 06:07

I'm dealing with my personal nightmare: A charming 2 bedroom/2 bath home, a nightmare 1st tenant, and a property manager I never should have hired. Last Friday, I received a certified letter from a neighbor informing me his small dogs were almost attacked by my tenant's "dangerous dog" a mixed breed. The tenant has violated the terms of the lease: no pets. Saturday, we posted the 7-day quit or cure notice on the property. Monday he received a lengthy letter regarding the "no pets" lease violation by  FEDEX.  I know, the pets are not grounds for eviction. I've since learned my tenant has a lengthy court record that includes a 2009 eviction. This is a violation of the lease application: that states any lie on the application is grounds for eviction. However, my attorney points out that that clause isn't on the lease which will supersede the appThis Morning, My PM will inspect my home and notify the tenant we want him out. We have $5800 in security. Rent on the house is $3000 mo. The tenant believes my PM is coming to inspect the house after he got rid of 1) dangerous dog and  2) pit bull. But PM has been instructed to tell tenant we now know he lied, that he's been evicted before and that "He can go nicely and get his deposit back, or we'll immediately start eviction proceedings." I await word from my PM hopefully by Noon today how the conversation went. My PM is shocked this man lied to his face. I can't believe my PM was so nieve. He's been licensed PM in South Florida for over ten years, and was recommended by a reputable real estate Broker in Victoria Park. I'm beside myself fearing what will happen next. Does anyone care to predict. The only person I have faith in right now is my attorney I've hired.

Loading replies...