Votes
Kally M.
  • Elk Grove, CA
Votes |
Rent Increase

Kally M.
  • Elk Grove, CA
Posted Feb 14 2015, 16:53

I have a rental in California that is $1200 below market (no rent control). Initially rented below market by $300. When I look at current market, I realize I could be getting a lot more. I have a tenant I would like to keep however I'm not sure how to do this. Tenant has been renting for 5 years with increase of $60 in year 2 and $60 in year 4, and I would like to increase $100 this May and another $100 in 6 months. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Hernell D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 26 2017, 21:37

In the words of one of the great modern day philosophers Kanye West “There’s a thousand you’d and only one of me”. There’s thousands of tenants and this is your business. If your tenant accepts the increase and stays, great, if they leave someone else will fill the vacancy and your business will be better for it. Either way you win the only way you lose is if you do nothing.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Pflueger
  • Ben Lomond, CA
Votes |
  • Ben Lomond, CA
Replied Dec 27 2017, 18:09

With good screening you can always find a good tenant so I would not worry about the current tenants moving. End the lease with the currents tenants as soon as you can and raise the rents. 

This needs to be a business decision pure and simple. Although you could talk to the tenant, let me them know you are going to terminate their lease, and offer to re-lease to them at 10% below market value. This way you keep good tenants and they still get a deal . Win, win. 

Best of luck .

@Kally M. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kally M.
  • Elk Grove, CA
Votes |
  • Elk Grove, CA
Replied May 27 2018, 16:32

Thanks for all of the suggestions. What I ended up doing was a 2 part increase for which the tenant was thankful for.  Since then, I've continued to increase to a reasonable market range.