Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Bernie Avila
  • Pasco, WA
Votes |
Just got new rental question on viewing? ????

Bernie Avila
  • Pasco, WA
Posted Feb 19 2015, 13:13

I got my second rental this week and posted on Craigslist. I've had 2 people go view the property and one coming tomorrow. The 2 people that have viewed the property both want it. I really liked one family but he other family just gave me a funny feeling. Now since its equal housing opportunity do I need to run background checks on both families or just the one that I want to rent to in order to  fair?

User Stats

Votes
Timothy Cervantes
  • Fresno, Ca
Votes |
  • Fresno, Ca
Replied Feb 19 2015, 13:51

Stay consistent in your practices.  It will save you potential heartache, do for one do for all.  Sometimes you'll be surprised on what comes back, the one you like may be a good liar and the one that gave you a funny feeling could have a spotless record with great income.  I'd rather be paid by someone who I didn't like than NOT be paid by someone who is a nice person.

User Stats

Votes
Joyce Tavares
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Replied Feb 19 2015, 16:45

Timothy is right....run both reports and then make a decision.  It is your choice, so pick the one with the best credit and rental history and who you can count on to pay the rent.  Many of my tenants are very quiet and not as friendly as some of the applicants, but I can always count on the rent being on time or early!  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryan N.
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Replied Feb 19 2015, 16:51

"Funny feeling" = find a better applicant.  There is no room for an applicant that can't pass your "gut check".  

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Feb 19 2015, 17:01

Usually when someone gives you a "funny feeling" there is a reason.  Make sure you have your rental criteria clearly defined, and then go down the list and see if they pass everything.  Income, eviction history, criminal history, credit, smoking or not, pets or not, etc.