Votes
Angelo Garcia
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
cash rent

Angelo Garcia
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Mar 28 2015, 16:36

I pay my manager cash from the cash rent I receive but at the end of the year I give him a 1099. Is there any problem ?  Two tenants don't  want to pay by check but cash

User Stats

Votes
Rob Beland
  • Investor
  • Leominster, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Leominster, MA
Replied Mar 28 2015, 16:39

You can pay him in half dollars if you want as long as you issue the 1099. The method of payment isn't important, the reporting is. Also be sure you report the cash you receive as income on your taxes. 

User Stats

Votes
Angelo Garcia
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 28 2015, 16:41

everything  is been reported. No problem   there. And I have all my records for 10 years.

thanks for the imput  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 28 2015, 22:24

No problems, just give receipts to the tenants, to be fair and avoid confusion.  I used an old fashioned receipt book that had a carbon sheet in it, so I'd be making a copy for myself at the same time.  I did eventually get all tenants switched over to money orders or checks.  But, cash is legal tender.

And with the 1099 you're covered with your manager, too.  If you aren't already doing so, get a signed receipt from the manager for cash.

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Mar 28 2015, 23:00

As the other say, cash is fine if properly reported. I don't like it because its harder to track, but many people still use ;)

User Stats

Votes
Angelo Garcia
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 29 2015, 01:05

thanks   guys.