Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Alec Miller
  • Investor
  • Lakewood, CA
Votes |
Renter gave notice, when should I advertise?

Alec Miller
  • Investor
  • Lakewood, CA
Posted Aug 6 2015, 15:36

Hello,

I had a great renter for four years.  She gave notice that she is moving out in 3 months.  I don't want to have a lapse in renters.  How soon is too soon to advertise?  

User Stats

Votes
Kelly N.
  • Investor
  • SE, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • SE, MI
Replied Aug 6 2015, 15:47

Hi Alec,

I would start now, I usually fill upcoming vacancies 2-3 months in advance.  While you are showing the property, make a note of anything that will need to be fixed before the new tenant moves in and make a plan to get that taken care of so you have minimal time between tenants. 

I show my apartments while they are still occupied, so I schedule a two hour window with the tenants and all appointments to prospective tenants at 15 minute intervals within that window.  I prefer this to open houses since I can't watch everyone visiting during an open house to make sure they are not walking off with the current tenant's stuff, and I know who will be there- being on time is part of my screening process.

Kelly

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Aug 6 2015, 18:02

It depends on the condition of the property , this is the time to paint , repair and do any improvements . I dont show till they are ready 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alec Miller
  • Investor
  • Lakewood, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lakewood, CA
Replied Aug 6 2015, 19:58

Thanks Kelly,  I have already made a list of issues that need correcting.  A very short list.  I rehabbed the house prior to this tenant, and she took great care of it.  I will get to work asap.

Matthew, thanks for the reply too.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Aug 6 2015, 20:47

When the tenant moves out. 

You can assess and perform all repairs at that time. You will also know for a fact that the unit is ready.

Filling in advance can run you into problems. 

What if your tenant doesn't actually move out when they are supposed to?