What Do You Do When You Catch Your Tenant in a Lie?

6 Replies

Have You Ever Caught Your Tenant in a Lie Before? Did You Confront Them or Just Let it Go?

Confront the lie and correct to the situation. One lie turns into two turns into five. I think that this is one of those (small) things that helps you maintain control of your property and keep good tenants.

Send them a bill for the situation and if they don't pay tell them your sending the invoice to a collection agency that will call them constantly till they pay. 

@Steve Rozenberg

Most likely that tenant has been lying there entire life.  I wouldn't put much energy in correcting them.  I find it to be entertainment.

Frank

Idk.... I typically call people out. Kind of fun watching them squirm! 

Just had a contractor try to tell me that the bid went over because I had them paint the basement walls. Which was extra. When I underlined it on THEIR scope of work they got quiet....

If you catch them in a lie prior to signing a lease.... That lease doesn't get signed. They never get the chance to be a tenant.

It depends what the lie is about..

I use property management so I don't deal directly with my tenants. But I will say that lying and stealing are 2 things that I cannot abide by and have showed "friends" the door for these things. I definitely would not put up with it from a tenant. Usually once someone gets caught it only goes 2 ways

1. they lie themselves even deeper into a hole

2. they come clean but you can still never trust them again.

* were not talking about little white lies here 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here