• Investor
  • Phoenix
Votes |
Acquiring Friend's Home

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Phoenix
Posted Aug 14 2015, 12:46

My friend wants to get rid of his mortgage in Chandler, Arizona, but stay in the home. I suggested a subject to deal where I take over his mortgage and also keep him in the home as a tenant. Is anyone in AZ familiar with doing a subject to and able to offer advice? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 14 2015, 13:30

Wouldn't you have to charge him MORE than his mortgage to cashflow? (unless your strictly just after the equity)

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Towell
  • Investor
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Aug 14 2015, 13:37

Why does he want out of the mortgage? If it is because he is paying too much, he should see if he has enough equity to refinance. If the same mortgage is kept on the house, I agree with Ryan... if he passes the mortgage off, the payment will only go up, not down.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Phoenix
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix
Replied Aug 14 2015, 14:22

Yes, I'm after the equity - his motivation is to leave after he's finished his degree which will be in 1 year. He wants the freedom to leave and won't consider renting it out if he moves to another state. After his departure I can charge more to new tenants and cash flow. 

Never rent to family and friends? Spare me.

So it doesn't have to be a subject to, but a creative solution with no or low money down is what is needed. Any suggestions?

User Stats

Votes
Dick Rosen
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Aug 14 2015, 17:07

Sub to is a very simple transaction but I haven't done any since I left Minnesota so I know my paperwork would not be good in Arizona today. You just need to make sure you have good paperwork. Search BP for Sub to or Sub2 and I'm sure you'll find someone with resources. I can give you a couple of names, people I know in AZ who do Sub To,