Smart Move Screening

17 Replies

If you have used "Smart Move" for screening your tenants how did it work for you? How much does it cost per applicant? Are there any other resources that you like more?

Originally posted by @Troy Young :

If you have used "Smart Move" for screening your tenants how did it work for you? How much does it cost per applicant? Are there any other resources that you like more?

I use it. I think it works well. $35 per application. I have the tenant pay it directly.

smart move works great for me coupled with at least 2 landlord phone references that I confirm from the smartmove screening check list of prior addresses, a copy of recent pay stub. I don't charge the app fee because applicant has to pay the $35 fee, which is enough to cover my screening costs and give them something to think about so they don't blindly submit applications to as many landlords as possible hoping one of them will not check their eviction record or other prior issues.

Yes, we just used Smartmove to run a couple of applications and the process was fairly simple and quick. It cost $35 for both criminal and credit checks and the information provided was relevant.  

I am also keeping an eye on a new startup cozy.co; I may give them a try next time just to compare services. 

Originally posted by @Payam Dastmalchi :

Yes, we just used Smartmove to run a couple of applications and the process was fairly simple and quick. It cost $35 for both criminal and credit checks and the information provided was relevant.  

I am also keeping an eye on a new startup cozy.co; I may give them a try next time just to compare services. 

I use cozy for a tenant that wanted to set up automatic payments each month, which is free with cozy. She just got it set up so I can't tell you yet how well it works.

we just had a thread on smart move the other day.  look it up.  works great and love their service 

We get a discount on Smart Move through our REI association. I have the applicant pay for it, and therefore don't charge an application fee.

I second the vote for cozy.co because they also have free rent collection service. Attractive user interface too.

Sounds good. I'll use it next time I need to screen. Thanks for all the help.

Hi, Thanks for your comments.  I just used Cozy and set up both my houses in SmartMove.  Used it to send to a potential renter.  I haven't seen the results yet.   I also signed up for Cozy.  They have a listing service that syndicates their feed to other real estate sites with applications automated through Cozy.  Price now is about $39.95 for all the reports.   I'll try them next and see which I like best.  I am interested in the online deposit feature.   I can setup and e-commerce portal but if someone will do it for me, that works too. 

Originally posted by @Craig Stephens :

Hi, Thanks for your comments.  I just used Cozy and set up both my houses in SmartMove.  Used it to send to a potential renter.  I haven't seen the results yet.   I also signed up for Cozy.  They have a listing service that syndicates their feed to other real estate sites with applications automated through Cozy.  Price now is about $39.95 for all the reports.   I'll try them next and see which I like best.  I am interested in the online deposit feature.   I can setup and e-commerce portal but if someone will do it for me, that works too. 

Never do a initial deposit by electronic payment. Any payment by a new tenant before they get the keys should be in your bank account and cleared. Otherwise you have a huge risk. Any electronic transfer can be reversed within law. Send me a connection and I will send you the law.

Hi, so far I like SmartMove for the screening checks.  I requested a credit check and criminal check on cozy.co for two applicants.  Both came credit and criminal came back almost instantly for one person and for the other applicant, it's been 5+ days for the criminal check while the credit check came back within minutes.   I checked with cozy.co support and they said that some just take longer.  I'm wondering if there's a "yes" permission needed from the applicant and that's what's holding things up.   It's really strange.  I'll follow-up again and see what happens.  For now, I'm only doing SmartMove .  

Hi Craig,

Tenants approve the credit and background checks when they pay for them on Cozy - there's no extra approval needed. There are a few reasons why a background check might take days, but it's better to be safe than sorry. And as you experienced with the other applicant, most reports come back within minutes. I hope my other email to you want helpful. Cheers. 

How does mysmartmove work from the tenants' perspective? Do they have to pay for each apartment they apply for? I don't like the idea for them having to pay a fee when there are multiple applicants and they don't know when they fill out the form online that they aren't the first qualified applicant and may not be considered.  We've not tried smart move. We've been doing our own checks through Accurate Credit and checking our own tenant criminal record through Wisconsin public records.

Any one know an depth criminal check for checking partners.

I've used SmartMove through BiggerPockets quite a few times over the years and have always been really satisfied.  https://biggerpockets.mysmartmove.com/

Its also a great way to support BiggerPockets (since they are an affiliate partner of TransUnion SmartMove) for providing an excellent place to have discussions about real estate investing.

Originally posted by @Tanya F. :

How does mysmartmove work from the tenants' perspective? Do they have to pay for each apartment they apply for? I don't like the idea for them having to pay a fee when there are multiple applicants and they don't know when they fill out the form online that they aren't the first qualified applicant and may not be considered.  We've not tried smart move. We've been doing our own checks through Accurate Credit and checking our own tenant criminal record through Wisconsin public records.

When I use smartmove.com, it's pretty much the last step. I've already spoken with prospective tenant on the phone, they've viewed property and met with me, filled out paper application and they understand my minimum qualifications. I then call their references. As long as everything checks out to that point, I send them a link to mysmartmove.com to do the checks. Pretty much by the time they get to paying for the checks, I know they'll be approved if they've been telling me the truth. That's how I use it. 

@Troy Young I like Smart Move and have no compliants. I've been using it since 2014 and it works well. I just came across Cozy and I like how I can syndicate my rental to other real estate sites. I'll try it out and see which is better.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here