• Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Renter question: Unimpeded access to move out

Steve Karp
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 29 2016, 09:03

Happy Friday BP'ers.  I'm moving out next week from a place I've been renting for 2 years.  The management company has been great and I've even had conversations with them about using them on properties I own.  I highly recommend them.  Once I opened escrow on my new residence, I let them know what was going on and when we were 30 days from closing, I submitted my formal Notice to Vacate.  I'm moving in a few days.  Yesterday the management company posted a notice that tree trimmers will be onsite on my move day and to clear out of the driveway so they can park their chippers.  I have stuff in my garage And otherwise need a clear path so my movers can load the truck.  I emailed them that I had advised them of my move date over 30 days ago. I believe I'm entitled to unimpeded access to move out.  They have not yet responded.  Am I correct?  Thoughts?   Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Karp
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 29 2016, 13:42

@JohnAnderson   thank you.  I finally heard back from the Management company and the owner was the one who scheduled the tree trimmers.  They moved the trimmers to later in the day After I'm out.   So all good.     This was just one of the final battles in what has been an epic road to closing my deal which I plan on detailing in an Investor Diary once its all said and done.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 29 2016, 16:11
Originally posted by @Steve Karp:

Happy Friday BP'ers.  I'm moving out next week from a place I've been renting for 2 years.  The management company has been great and I've even had conversations with them about using them on properties I own.  I highly recommend them.  Once I opened escrow on my new residence, I let them know what was going on and when we were 30 days from closing, I submitted my formal Notice to Vacate.  I'm moving in a few days.  Yesterday the management company posted a notice that tree trimmers will be onsite on my move day and to clear out of the driveway so they can park their chippers.  I have stuff in my garage And otherwise need a clear path so my movers can load the truck.  I emailed them that I had advised them of my move date over 30 days ago. I believe I'm entitled to unimpeded access to move out.  They have not yet responded.  Am I correct?  Thoughts?   Thank you.

Sorry, but I disagree with John Anderson.  Your landlords don't owe you any kind of legal right to move in and out easily.  However, in your shoes, I'd let them know that you will be moving that day and will not be able to honor their request to keep out of the way, so they may want to consider rescheduling the tree trimmers.  That's what I'd do.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 29 2016, 16:13
Originally posted by @Steve Karp:

@JohnAnderson   thank you.  I finally heard back from the Management company and the owner was the one who scheduled the tree trimmers.  They moved the trimmers to later in the day After I'm out.   So all good.     This was just one of the final battles in what has been an epic road to closing my deal which I plan on detailing in an Investor Diary once its all said and done.

Woops, I was posting at the same time.  I'm glad it worked out.  You'll be a good manager, having had the experience of being a tenant :-)