• Investor
  • Durango, CO
Votes |
Ex girlfriend broke windows. Who pays?

Carole G.
  • Investor
  • Durango, CO
Posted Jul 30 2016, 10:11

One of my tenants' ex-girlfriends broke every window in the apartment.  I am trying to take her to small claims court, but in the meantime, the windows need fixed.  The total is only $137 over my deductible, so no use filing a claim.  Would you charge the tenant for the whole bill?  Split it with him?  Pay it all?  

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 30 2016, 10:17

The tenant is responsible for the damages their guests do.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Eaker
  • Buy and Hold Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Buy and Hold Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Jul 30 2016, 10:19

@Carole G.

Your tenant is responsible for any damages by him or any of his guests, girlfriends included. This should come out of his security deposit, he should be required to make up any difference, and then he should be required to replenish the security deposit immediately. None of this should come out of your pocket. I assume the tenant's girlfriend isn't on the lease, so you will have more luck going after the person on the lease.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Miller
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grants Pass, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grants Pass, OR
Replied Jul 30 2016, 10:20

+1 to what @Shanequa J. said.  Your tenant is responsible for their guests and is responsible for 100% of that damage and the total labor + material costs to repair it.  I hope you are able to collect! 

Since the damage was intentional, I would be surprised if your insurance would even cover it unless you have a specific provision that handles tenant damage.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Jul 30 2016, 10:46

Did the tenant file a police report and have her arrested?  If not , the tenant is responsible 

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Guerrero
  • Professional
  • Covina, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Covina, CA
Replied Jul 30 2016, 11:00

Your tenants issues are their issues. The tenant is responsible for the cost, he can take her to small claims court. The LAST thing you want is to get involved in someones domestic issues.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jul 30 2016, 11:15

From the inside or outside?  Big difference.  If from the outside you'd have a hard time holding the tenant responsible.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan G.
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Jul 30 2016, 11:24

Your tenant is responsible. He can figure out how to get the money from the girlfriend

User Stats

Votes
Nancy Curran
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 30 2016, 11:29

How do you know his ex did it? 

User Stats

Votes
Sterling White
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 30 2016, 12:21

This should be charged to the tenant @Carole G. in the event the guest is the culprit. Is this covered in your lease?

User Stats

Votes
Ben Dao
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Saint Louis, MO
Replied Jul 30 2016, 12:57

The tenant needs to pay because it was their guest and fault . You should probably fix it as fast as you can as a broken window could be a point for unwanted entry. But have them either pay for it upfront, reimburse you or take it out the security deposit.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Jul 30 2016, 14:40

HOLD SECURITY deposits for move-outs!!!  Solve this by invoicing the tenant and use a cover letter to explain he recovers for the EX.  The invoice becomes evidence later.

Unless you have local weather issues, leave the windows as-is, take pictures to go with invoice.

?Do you have other units on this site, creating an eye sore and marketing issue?  If not, leave unrepaired until invoice is paid and DO NOT allow tenant to repair for himself.

User Stats

Votes
Penny Clark
Pro Member
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jul 30 2016, 14:51

@Carole G., I'm assuming you've already replaced the windows. This is a tenant charge because a tenant is responsible for the actions of those he allows into your property. This is why landlords require their tenants to carry renter's insurance which covers vandalism, theft and liability. Yet even then, proving it was all her work and your tenant didn't play a part in it, may be difficult. If he filed a restraining order, that might hold water. Anyone can make a police report about anything. If you can't get the tenant to pay up, save the repair receipt and deduct it from tenant security deposit.

Bad tempered tenants and their partners, friends are the worst, so you have my sympathy!

User Stats

Votes
John Casmon
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 30 2016, 15:32

Why are you trying to take the ex to small claims? I would hold the tenant accountable, and tell him to consider filing a police report and seek a civil lawsuit against her. 

You may want to revisit the lease agreement and identify your options if the tenant refuses to pay. Did this happen from inside the unit? Is there proof that this was an intentional act from the ex? Just because the tenant's window was broken doesn't mean he's automatically responsible.

User Stats

Votes
Yvette M.
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • Reno, NV
Replied Jul 30 2016, 16:06

Tenant responsible.  Same thing as if window is broken by baseball or golf ball flying through the window.  You also would not be paying for "act of nature" like if a tornado blew the windows out. Maybe his renter's insurance will cover the damage.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 30 2016, 19:23

Devil's advocate here.  If she came onto the property uninvited and broke the windows, she wasn't a guest at the time.

I had to kick out a guy who was a great guy, great tenant - because of his extremely good looking and more extremely insane GF.  Tons of noise and drama, her throwing his furniture into the building hallway while screaming at the top of her lungs, cops being called, and even his blood on her - she'd attacked him!  Little thing, too, and he was huge.  

She helped him move and they got a place together.  Nobody ever called me for a reference & he'd lived there for several years.  Hardly any landlords ever called me for a reference.  And I was one of the rare ones who would tell the truth.  Crazy.

He was on a month to month, so I just gave him 30 days notice to move.  You'll want to kick your tenant out, too, no doubt.  Hopefully, they didn't just start a lease.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jul 30 2016, 19:37

Where's @Carole G  ?  She did not provide enough information to give sound advice.  If the girlfriend showed up uninvited then you'd have a hard time making the tenant liable.  I would also be careful as to how I asked him to leave as he could be viewed as a victim of domestic violence and the landlord action as illegal. 

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 30 2016, 19:41
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Where's @Carole G  ?  She did not provide enough information to give sound advice.  If the girlfriend showed up uninvited then you'd have a hard time making the tenant liable.  I would also be careful as to how I asked him to leave as he could be viewed as a victim of domestic violence and the landlord action as illegal. 

I think the only special right a domestic violence victim has, is the right to break a lease.

User Stats

Votes
Atwan Kwan
  • Property Manager
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Rockville, MD
Replied Jul 31 2016, 02:11

@Sue K. that sounds awesome. hot babes, blood and drama.......forget subscribing to HBO.... just answer maintenance calls to your properties and you get real housewives on demand

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 31 2016, 13:12
Originally posted by @Atwan Kwan:

@Sue K. that sounds awesome. hot babes, blood and drama.......forget subscribing to HBO.... just answer maintenance calls to your properties and you get real housewives on demand

LOL so true.  Sheesh, his apartment was right across the hall from my manager's apt.  One night I hear this screaming and banging, and she's throwing furniture into the hallway!  Other tenants started blowing up my phone.  I called the police and offered to let her come inside my apt when I saw blood on her.  The tenant had taken off - I thought, because he'd hit her.  She got squirrely when the police arrived, and later one of the policemen told me it was actually HIS blood on her!  Because she'd attacked him!  

And just before that, there was a screaming, hair-tearing incident outside the building where his former girlfriend and the new girlfriend were have a cat fight right outside the building.  Yeah, he got a couple warnings to keep his drama out of the building, then he got his 30 day notice.

Funny, because he was soft-spoken and really big - like 6'3" and maybe 250lbs, and both girlfriends were little teeny short things - but hellcats!  Yikes!  

Those are the kinds of things you can't anticipate.  Nice guy, quiet, works for the water department - who'd have every guessed?  There was no drama for about a year, then the old GF would be crying in hysterics when he was breaking up with her. He'd leave the apartment and she'd follow him outside like some wild novella, sobbing and begging and beating on his chest right outside my window.  Then, he got the new one.....

User Stats

Votes
Carole G.
  • Investor
  • Durango, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durango, CO
Replied Aug 4 2016, 16:44

I picked up the police report yesterday.  Story is that gf came to the apt to brother #1. Brother #2 doesn't like her, so he pushed her outside. She put her fist through the window.  After that, there was a lot of glass breaking and blood on part of gf and Brother #2.  One of the brothers called me last night about the windows being repaired. I told him he is responsible, and he is checking to see if he can get a better quote than I did. So, that's the update for now.  Oh, and last weekend we talked to all the neighboring tenants.  They told us a man was arrested.  Hadn't heard THAT part of the story from brothers.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 4 2016, 16:48

Do not allow the tenant to do any work or hire any contractors. It is you property and your responsibility to make all decisions. He pays regardless. 

User Stats

Votes
Carole G.
  • Investor
  • Durango, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durango, CO
Replied Aug 4 2016, 16:51

Right Greg S. He asked to replace them himself. I told him No. It has to be a professional, and they have to contact me.