• Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
How to verify SS #

Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Aug 19 2016, 04:42

So I have a cosigner's SS number from his paper application. I also had him complete a background check through mysmartmove. The smartmove report indicates that I should verify his SS # because it may be invalid. 

What is the best/fastest/cheapest way to do this?

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Aug 19 2016, 05:33

Did you ask the cosigner if it is correct?  It's either a typo or fraudulent.  You're either going to hear back from them with oops, here's the correct number or never hear back from them.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 19 2016, 05:56
Originally posted by @Todd Plambeck:

Did you ask the cosigner if it is correct?  It's either a typo or fraudulent.  You're either going to hear back from them with oops, here's the correct number or never hear back from them.

Yes I did. They verified with the number previously given. The issue may be that they have recently emigrated to the USA.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 19 2016, 07:49

Simply tell the co-signer there is a problem with his SS# and until he can get it resolved you will not be able to use him as a co-signer for the applicant.

Move on to another applicant, ideally one that can qualify on their own. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Aug 19 2016, 08:37

The easiest/best way would be to view the actual SS card and verify the number printed on the card is the same as what you were given and the name matches their driver's license. 

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 19 2016, 08:54

@Kyle J. That's exactly what I'm doing. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Aug 19 2016, 09:24

If you pull credit reports from the major reporting companies, they will flag any inconsistencies, including prior addresses.  Both are very useful in screening.

User Stats

Votes
Chan K.
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
  • Lowell, MA
Replied Aug 19 2016, 09:36

@Kyle J. I guess not too many people carry the SS card or even know where they place it nowaday with all the technology. If it is a requirement for every showing, the tenant demand might be really slim. The credit report consistency sound more promising. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Aug 19 2016, 09:44
Originally posted by @Chan K.:

@Kyle J. I guess not too many people carry the SS card or even know where they place it nowaday with all the technology. If it is a requirement for every showing, the tenant demand might be really slim. The credit report consistency sound more promising. 

Agreed.  (In fact, no one should be carrying around their SS card on a regular basis.)  But if the credit check flags a SS number as being possibly invalid (something I have also seen when screening tenants), there's really no other good way to verify it short of putting your eyes on the actual SS card.  Bottom line, if an applicant's SS number gets flagged as possibly being invalid and the applicant can't produce the card to verify it, then you shouldn't be accepting them.  

User Stats

Votes
Mags S.
  • Phila, Pa
Votes |
  • Phila, Pa
Replied Aug 20 2016, 12:13

if a new immigrant could not produce a ss card, I'd be leary 

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 20 2016, 12:42

i have copies of the SS card. Names match up with drivers license and application. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Aug 20 2016, 22:54

@Max T. I'd worry about this.  Who is the tenant who needs a co-signer?  And if the co-signer just moved here, they won't have any credit you can verify anyway, so they'd be useless as a co-signer.  

So, you'd have an iffy tenant with an iffy co-signer.  I just don't think that's a good idea.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Aug 20 2016, 23:06

If only there were a government form you could fill out that would do this...

Oh wait, there's not one but TWO forms you could fill out. If you're a landlord and didn't purchase all-cash, you're already familiar with BOTH of these forms!

The SSA-89 process is a bit of a pain for a smalltime landlord to deal with.

But the IRS form 4506-T process is fairly easy, with instructions right on it, and you verify the integrity of the tax returns they provided to boot. Just ensure you TYPE IN the information from the tax returns EXACTLY PERFECTLY, including "Drive" versus "drive" versus "Dr" versus "Dr.", and so on.

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.