• Virtual Assistant
  • Clifford Township, PA
Votes |
Please review my Deposit refund letter - Charges due! - PA

Shannon Trivett
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Clifford Township, PA
Posted Oct 10 2016, 11:03

Tenant moved in July 15, 2015 with a one year lease. Tenant informed me in June of 2016 they would need to move in January 2017 so I didn't do renewal paperwork. I was sloppy on the initiall lease and and missed the renewal check boxes on the lease.  Shown below:

Tenants have since sought divorce and have vacated. Last rent payment was made on 7/15/16 paying thru 8/15/16
I was notified on 9-2-16 that I should use the sec. deposit for the 8/15/16 - 9/15/16 rent and they would be out by 9/15/16

I sub-meter the water via Guardian. 

below is the letter I would like to send to the former tenants. Can anyone tell me for sure if I'm able to charge a month's loss due to improper notice?

Would you change the way anything is stated?

i will attached the water bill and some photos of crayons, wall paper damage and general dirty-ness to the hard-copies I mail the tenants. I could also post here if anyone is curios. 

This letter is in regards to the security deposit of $675 that was placed on our rental contract dated July 4th, 2015. The rental home was located at XXXXXX, PA.

While the home was basically in good condition, there are a few charges that I must deduct from the security deposit. First, you did not pay the water charges since your payment on June 15th bringing you current to you May 30th 2016. Charges for June, July, August, and Sept. 1-15, invoices attached. There is a total of 106.67 that must be deducted. Secondly, I deducted a $50 late fee for the payment that was not made on August 15th, 2016, I was given 14 days’ notice that you were leaving, and thus I have been left to suffer from vacancy loss. The state of Pennsylvania allows me to charge up to one month of vacancy loss. I must deduct $675 from the deposit.

There were a few other damages in the home. I need to have the entire home cleaned at a cost of $300 Damages include: pealed wall paper in living room, dog scratcheson rear exterior door, re-seat and adherelarge stone on rear patio, crayon on living room walls, crayon on dining room wall, pealed wall paper on stairs, damaged interior side of middle bedroom door, broken mirror in bathroom, holes in both front bedroom doors, full cleaning including removal of items left behind, cleaning appliances and scrubbingcrayon from the walls. At this time the cleaning company is confident the crayon can be removed buy I may need to see additional damages if it cannot be. My contractor has estimated that repairs will cost approximately $3,000 of which I have deducted $1,500

In total, I am deducting $2,685.67 from the $675 to cover the damages and insufficient utility and rent payment. This leaves you owing $2,010.67. Please contact me immediately to make payment arrangements.

Loading replies...