Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jake Oreskovich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Self Managing vs Property Manager Landlords?

Jake Oreskovich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland
Posted Jan 16 2017, 15:22

Hello, 

I'm weighing my options. I currently have 8 single family rentals. My question is, at what point have other members used a licensed property manager, if ever? 

__ professional management from the start

__ 2-5 units

__5-10 units

__10-25 units

__25-50 units

__50-100 units

__ more than 100 units

__ still self managing with over 100 units

__ Never (will ALWAYS be self managing)

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Siedlecki
  • Investor
  • Madison, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison, CT
Replied Jan 16 2017, 15:39

@Jake Oreskovich - I transitioned to property management when self-managing 5 units with a full-time job got to be a little too much. I then immediately bought another duplex, to justify the expense of the management company. So it was 5-7 units that I made that switch. Now that I have more units, I am considering going back to self-management, with some systems in place to take care of things as they come up. I am testing those systems on 3 units right now, and if it works out, I might go back, and save the thousands of dollars a year I am currently paying management.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Adkins
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Jan 16 2017, 16:50

I prefer to use property management here in Detroit.I don't mind giving up 10% per rental to avoid all the problems with the tenants.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Barone
Pro Member
  • CEO/CTO
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CEO/CTO
  • New York, NY
Replied May 16 2018, 11:52

A good rule of thumb posed to me by a well-respected investor & property manager is:

• Less than 100 units – Self-Manage
  • More than 100 units – Property Manager

There are certainly anomalies on both ends of the spectrum, but I've found that to be a sound template.  

At 8 units, you're giving up a large chunk of cash, and that property manager went so far as they won't take an owner's portfolio if they don't have more than 100 units because they believe owners are better off doing it themselves.  Talk about conviction to a methodology haha.