• Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, MN
Votes |
What would you do in this situation?

Jennifer Rysdam
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, MN
Posted Apr 27 2017, 07:03

I have a guy in my building that has lived there since 1993. He's on the second floor (8-plex) and in the last year needs to use a walker. They aren't sure what's going on with his legs but they aren't working from the knees down. He's a smoker (non-smoking building) and a big drinker. I just bought this building and the previous owner didn't enforce the non-smoking rules at all. I sent a letter to everyone when I bought it that smoking was no longer allowed anywhere in the building. I had to make an exception for him though because I don't want him going up and down the 16 steps and back 20 times a day, plus he said he was going to move. Well, so far he's not moving, the common area smells like smoke from him, and I'm very concerned about him falling down the stairs, especially with the drinking. I have one person that moved out and I'm remodeling the whole apartment. Another is moving out the end of this month. I want to get good renters in there but I'm afraid with the smoke smell they won't want to live there. Especially since one is right across the hall from him. Plus, it terrifies me that he's going to fall down the stairs and kill himself. He's in his 60's.
I guess I know what I have to do, but I'm looking for some encouragement. There are other apartments in the area that are available, that are low income (which is what he needs anyways) and have elevators in them. The only reason he's staying at my building is because he can smoke and they'll make him go outside. He's on a month-to-month, I just wish I didn't feel like such an *** by ending his tenancy :/ 

Loading replies...