Votes
Cynthia Miller
  • Dearborn, MI
Votes |
Sober living house?

Cynthia Miller
  • Dearborn, MI
Posted Aug 8 2017, 16:35

I posted another question about Detroit and the problems i'm having.  I was thinking of turning one of the rentals into a sober living.  Have someone living there for free who will keep up repairs, monitor and collect rents. 

I haven't had any luck with single family tenants so was thinking about this instead. Anyone have any experience with sober living?

If they don't pay can they just be locked out without having to take them to court?

User Stats

Votes
JP A.
  • Colts Neck, NJ
Votes |
  • Colts Neck, NJ
Replied Aug 8 2017, 17:12

Interested in hearing responses to this.

User Stats

Votes
Bettina F.
  • Investor
  • Post Falls, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Post Falls, ID
Replied Aug 8 2017, 22:00

I have a family member who was IN a sober living  house (for a short period of time.)  The house, in Washington State, was exempt from state LL/tenant laws. The agreement was month to month, with a 2 page list of house rules.  Big bulletin board with resident's names and assigned chores. They had a live-in manager, their own on site AA group.  This house was affiliated with a local church.  Shared bedrooms, shared kitchen and baths.  The house was old, basic but clean.  His house was men only.  It seemed like a good use for an older property, but would be management intensive.  They enforced the rules; my relative only lasted for a few days.  The yard and outside was immaculate, the manager said this helped the house have good relationships with the neighbors.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tereal Wilsonn
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oak Park, MI
Votes |
  • Oak Park, MI
Replied Aug 9 2017, 01:01

@Cynthia Miller i hope your well, im currently looking into doing something similar in the detroit area,this might be a great resourse for you they focus on sober living

http://www.transitionalhousing.org/ci/mi-detroit

User Stats

Votes
Cynthia Miller
  • Dearborn, MI
Votes |
  • Dearborn, MI
Replied Aug 11 2017, 17:57

I called the city and was told I couldn't open up a sober living house in a residential neighborhood? That's were everyone else does. I  looked up the legislature and it looks like a sober living can be operated in a residential neighborhood?

Anyone know for sure? Link to statute?

I'm either going to open an sober living or sell its not worth it in Detroit for rental. Just headaches and  loss of money.

User Stats

Votes
John Beasley
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Chesterfiled, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Chesterfiled, VA
Replied Oct 30 2018, 07:13
@Cynthia Miller I have a sober living home. I am told that I am protected by the ADA Americans w disabilities act. I have a colleague that has pushed back on a neighborhood complaint and hadn’t had any more trouble. I personally haven’t had a problem yet. “Be a good neighbor”

User Stats

Votes
Richard Weinberg
  • Winston Salem, NC
Votes |
  • Winston Salem, NC
Replied Oct 28 2019, 22:17

@John Beasley

Can you post an update on how it’s going with your Sober living house?

I am speaking with a big organization that develops Sober living homes and this seems like a good thing to do or shall I say, the right thing to do.....in addition to a smart rental thing to do. Your shared experienced of what’s gone well, what has not gone well and the learnings, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
John Beasley
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Chesterfiled, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Chesterfiled, VA
Replied Oct 29 2019, 08:04

There are a lot of these houses in the Richmond,VA. area.

the best successes for residents appear to be the houses with 10 -12 or less per house although,that may not be the most lucrative model.

The 4 of us(owners of 10 houses) tend to be involved in at least a biweekly basis.It is very rewarding personally but,tragic in other cases.

some of us have had some "push back" from HOA's but, the ADA mention usually quiets them.

I would be interested in doing more if I can find the right property.

Being on the local bus line is a huge advantage

User Stats

Votes
Charles Kappe
  • Plymouth Meeting, PA
Votes |
  • Plymouth Meeting, PA
Replied Nov 9 2019, 14:13

If you're looking for assistance, I have owned and operated multiple sober living programs for about 6 years now and also have been in the investor/landlord position. Feel free to reach out to me directly. I may be able to offer some solutions.

Thanks,

Charles Kappe

Founder Connect The Dots Recovery