Eviction in New Jersey

6 Replies

I purchased a rental property in Irvington NJ that already had two tenants.  I have just found out that the person living in one of the units is not the person that signed the lease.   She had some arrangement with the previous owner.  The other tenant did not pay her rent for October and has advised she will not be able to pay until 11/12 which would make her November rent will be late as well.  Do I have to give notice before I start the eviction process for both tenants?

Yes, give a 3 Day Pay or Quit Notice and start the eviction process then.

Here's your new bible http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publica...

Truth in Renting: A guide to the rights and responsibilities of residential tenants and landlords in New Jersey

Good luck, NJ courts aren't nearly as bad as NYC, once you get good tenants this will be much easier.

@Tarsha Adeyemi I'm also currently dealing with an inherited tenant who has paid me late twice in a row. Not just late but only made a partial payment the second month. I called the king of evictions in my area and his team advised me to start the process right away. Which will probably take about 2 months from the day I called them. So don't hesitate and get the ball rolling! Call a reputable lawyer and tell them your situation. If they're good, they'll handle it swiftly and do most if not all of the heavy lifting for you.

@Tarsha Adeyemi just want to say that I believe @Scott Weaner is incorrect on this (sorry Scott).  My understanding is that based on N.J.S.A. 2A:18-61.1(a) Nonpayment of Rent does NOT require a Cease Notice letter sent unless one is required by the lease.  So, here in NJ if they don't pay when they're supposed to, next day you can file to evict.   At least that is what my mouse pad with all the Grounds for Eviction in NJ is telling me.  :)   

I know I am late but wanted to add more info in case this hasn't been resolved. Please make sure you have your full Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Habitability. Also for 3 and 4 families make sure you have your state registration all in order or the court will side with the tenant and fine you. Fines normally are issues as free rent for the tenant.

As for getting rid of the squatter since they have been there more than 30 days they have a tenancy but since they don't have a lease you can get the constable to evict and not the sheriff. You will also need to evict the actual tenant. Please make sure to NOT lock them out court will make sure you pay for that as well.

In general it is a simple process, Good luck

Thank you @Randy Bravo for explaining the difference of the Certificate of Occupancy and the Certificate of Habitability. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here