Privacy, Personal Tenants, and Appraisal

4 Replies

I am currently refinancing my rental property. The appraiser came on site, and stated that they required pictures to be taken for the mortgage lender.

My tenant has a home studio, and is worried about pictures of their equipment floating out in the web. What would be a viable way to assuage their concerns? Is there a privacy statement somewhere that I should/could get? Would this simply be part of my rights as a landlord to take pictures?

@Denise Webster How big is the equipment? Could you cover it with some bed sheets/blankets? Not sure why they care so much but if it's covered up I'm not sure what their complaints could be.

@Denise Webster my lease is clear that we are allowed to document the property with pictures or video. When I serve tenant notice of my intent to inspect, I tell them that my visit may be recorded with pictures or video and they are advised to cover or remove any personal items they do not wish to be recorded. I also provide a disclaimer that any photos/videos will be used for office purposes only. In other words, I won't use pictures with tenant's belongings to advertise a property for rent. You could ask your appraiser to provide the same guarantee.

Thanks @Nathan G. for your reply. I figured there had to be something, somewhere that could be provided in writing. Regrettably, it did not occur to me that I would need such terminology in the lease. Unfortunately, the BPO can back ridiculously low. As I presented my dispute of the assess value, they said they want to get a 2nd BPO. 

However, now, the tenant is refusing to allow me entry in claim that I have violated her rights. Under Georgia statue, I can only access the premise without permission in cases of emergency. So basically, I'm limited in doing any further appraisals on this property, and use the equity, until the tenant is out of the house in February 2018. I'm deeply frustrated. Any thoughts? 

Denise, I'm not an attorney but I slept in a home I own. ;)

Here's a summary of Georgia Landlord-Tenant Law

There is a Georgia Landlord Tenant Handbook that you should read, highlight, and keep handy as a summary. Look at the first paragraph on Page 13. Georgia law only refers to entering the property in an emergency. It does not address the Landlord's right to inspect a property so it should be addressed in your lease agreement. If your lease agreement does not discuss giving notice for inspections then you should probably consult an attorney.

This is an example of why your lease should be built by an attorney and why you should have an attorney review/update it every few years. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.