User Stats

Votes
Andrew Fidler
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Lease item specifying what I as Landlord NO NOT DO???

Andrew Fidler
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Nov 30 2017, 08:27

Good morning BP- 

I tried a forum search but the concept is broad enough I can't find anything popping up...please direct me to an existing blog post or forum discussion if this is redundant.

I'm a Toledo, OH landlord who happens to have grown to the point I became far more focused on property management than acquisition and renovation...in 2016 I finished my licensing here in Ohio to be a realtor and allied my company with Stonehenge Realty for broker coverage so I could do legit PM here in Toledo. (Still it's not an aggressive focus for us, if an owner likes our capabilities and is focused in our areas of competency then we can be mutually beneficial for each other)

SO- I go through these epiphany moments periodically, usually after someone really deviates from what is reasonable and pisses me off :)

Example- Back in 2013 I finished the year with a few city citations for lawn length on my houses...the first is $75, the second is $250...my tenant base is poor enough that they simply don't have that kind of cash sitting around to cough up that amount. I concluded after paying ~$500 in city fines I could have mowed all my houses for a majority of the year for the same price (internalizing the cost and providing a value-add service to my properties).

So starting in 2014 I contracted to have a basic lawn cutting done 2x a month for something like $20 a house and felt I really had a good benefit for my tenants (DID I MENTION THIS WAS A FREE SERVICE)...one house in particular decided that if I was mowing for them then I had better be edging and bush trimming and proceeded to call my cell phone (back when I gave that out to tenants, ah the good-old-days) telling me that the lawn crew left clumps of grass in the yard and didn't rake leaves from under the bushes. After I got a few of these I flipped the service 180 degrees and simply lease-mandated that any house that had grass length approaching the Lucas County / Toledo City 6" limit would get a 24hr notice from us and then be mowed by us with a $50.00 fee applied...tenants could call and have a scheduled basic mowing performed for $25.00 if they didn't have a mower or the time to mow.

Conclusion - the middle road decision was a good idea ultimately, that policy has survived three years now, no problem. Some folks pay the $25.00 fee and request we mow them, some push our buttons and get mowed (they have to pay that $50.00 fee the next month or we initiate eviction proceedings, some tenants just need to see where the line in the sand is), most mow their house without any issue and get on the stick when we remind them it's long.

SOOOOO- Today's discussion is does anyone have a lease-disclosed list of items they don't do for tenants...naturally I had a silly tenant moment over the T-day 4-day weekend where a Section 8 tenant who has been in place for ~18 months called our repair line and started screaming about "Them Mices", that she has seen more than 1 mouse and she's heading to a hotel and won't live in the house since she saw them. (We passed the annual inspection for her house about 2 months ago, it's a superb property with absolutely nothing wrong with it, the mice simply prefer to move indoors when the weather turns cold)

As a policy we have placed bait-blocks for tenants behind the fridge/stove and in the basement for free, we even place them annually as part of our Fall Inspection where we check the home and most importantly the furnace.

Bet you can't guess that when we didn't show up at her house on Saturday or Sunday she kept up the frantic voicemails to our company system...and the best part is when we showed up with bait blocks on Monday (our next scheduled work day for the crew AND WAAAAYYYY ahead of the 14 day timeline we allow for non-emergency repairs) the tenant refused bait blocks in the home since she has children in the home (who access the back of the refrigerator and stove I guess, no basement in this house).

I'd like to assemble a list of what LaPlante does NOT handle, so we can direct tenants to that section when they ring our phones... "At our discretion we will refer you to the best course of action including where to buy supplies, refer you to a contractor, or provide supplies to assist you in your issue"

- Mice, cockroaches, bedbugs in the home after more than 2 weeks living in the home.

- Unplugging a toilet which requires plunging

- Light bulb replacement

- 9 V battery replacement

- (I will update the list as we come up with more ideas)

Anyway, the list clearly will get discussed with my attorney before it's implemented, but I wanted to see if anyone has a section that helps explain to tenants what WE ARE NOT DOING FOR YOU, because it feels like we are being too nice on my side and need to implement a better policy. 

Thanks! Andrew

LaPlante Real Estate  Logo

Loading replies...