General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Yuriy Skripnichenko
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phialdelphia, PA
Votes |
How did this weather affect your properties?

Yuriy Skripnichenko
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phialdelphia, PA
Posted Jan 8 2018, 16:45

How did this weather affect your properties? Or why does anyone like winter?

Besides all the snow that we are getting this year (here in Philly we had 5 snow storms and super low temperatures, 25-year low). 

I got my first maintenance request on January 3rd. Broken sewage pipe in the basement. Flooded with …you know what.

January 5th my second maintenance request came in for “no hot water in the bathroom sink”. Frozen pipe in the crawl space in the basement.

January 7th two more: frozen pipe and as a result broken washing machine valve leaking all over the laundry room. Which is above another crawl space. In addition, different building tenant reported “no water in the kitchen sink”. Same issue.

So 4 brakes in one week. Not easy to find a plumber willing to work in this temperatures and conditions.

Moral of the story: always have reserve account for this type of expense AND make sure that the pipes in your crawl space are insulates as well as the walls and floors to avoid similar brakes.

My friends ask: aren’t you sick of all your tenant’s issues and “crap” you have to deal with? And the answer is no. It is part of the business that I have to deal with.

Anyone have other stories to add?

Loading replies...