How do I prevent my mail from being sent to investment property?

How do I prevent my mail from being sent to investment property?

Real Estate Agent · Towson, MD · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes

OK. So my wife and I bought our first investment property a couple weeks before Thanksgiving 2017.  How do I prevent my mail from being sent to that property?  I looked up the property on Baltimore City Tax website, and it indicates that I am an "absentee" (which I am), but it also indicates that my mailing address is the investment property address. Is this something I should be concerned about....or it's no biggie.

I just want to assure any mail sent from the city that needs my immediate attention is actually sent to my residence, and not the investment property.

2Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
8y

When you purchased the property, they should have asked you where you want to receive mail. Regardless, just contact them or stop in and update your mailing address.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    When you purchased the property, they should have asked you where you want to receive mail. Regardless, just contact them or stop in and update your mailing address.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    At closing, you should have had the opportunity to list your address as your true home/mailing address on the paperwork
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Coles Mercier I had the same issue. I gave the county assessor a call and told them to change it to my correct mailing address. The last thing you need is to not receive a tax bill.
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 169 posts · 82 votes
    8y

    See "Property registration" baltimore housing. Make some calls to baltimore housing if the website isnt helpful

  • Real Estate Agent · Towson, MD · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Nathan G. Are you suggesting I go back to the title company and have them make the correction??
  • Real Estate Agent · Towson, MD · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    @anthony, that’s exactly what I am trying to avoid.
  • Real Estate Agent · Towson, MD · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Jeffrey H. Thanks for the advice...I’ll get on it Monday, if contacting the title company doesn’t work
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 204 posts · 68 votes
    8y

    Good Afternoon @Coles Mercier

    Here in Houston you have to go online to hcad.org (county appraisal district), go to the forms link and print out the form to update owner address. That can either be mailed in or dropped off at the location. I actually had everything noted during closing, but for some reason the investment property showed as my home address. I just had to work on getting this corrected a few days ago.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 146 votes
    8y

    @Coles Mercier 

    Go to https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm and you can "forward" mail for a year or simply change your address with USPS.  The address change tool is at the same URL.  It costs a mere $1.00 to validate your identity and you'll get all kinds of discount coupons in the mail that more than make up for the petty expense.  It's a catch all service and anything in your name gets sent to the address you specify.  It won't affect your tenant's mail because the change is based on your name.  Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Towson, MD · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Tommy F. thanks for the advice...I'll look into that.

  • Real Estate Agent · Towson, MD · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Amber Koontz I am going to look into Baltimore City Office to see if there is a way...thanks for sharing your experience.

  • COCKEYSVILLE, MD · Member since 2009 · 65 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    It is very easy to change your mailing address for your property tax bill in Maryland. The form is on the SDAT website.

    The form is at

    http://dat.maryland.gov/SDAT%20Forms/addresschange...

    Failure to change the address is the number one reason properties end up in a tax sale.  Tax offices get so much returned mail.

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Contact SDAT and Baltimore Housing to change your mailing address directly with those two entities, and then contact USPS to have all the rest of your mail forwarded.  Congratulations on the purchasing your first unit!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.