My tree or my neighbors?

6 Replies

So my neighbor was texting me this morning about a tree that is in the front yard and it apparently split apart last night. She’s referring to it as a shared tree between me and her. She then starts telling me how the previous owner was going to go half with her and all this jazz about cutting it down..... To me the tree really looks like it’s more so her side. It is almost directly in front of her side. If anything maybe an inch or 2 of it just barely touches my side. I was going to respond to her text with: “I did notice it on my way out this morning. I wouldn’t have a problem going half with you on taking it down but I think first I would like to confirm that it is actually a shared tree on both my and your property. It looks like it’s more so on your side. “ What’re your thoughts?

The only true way to find out is to have the land surveyed. This would tell you for sure who's side it is on. 

Check the boundaries, or just be neighborly and split it.

From what I know, it doesn’t matter who owns the tree on a property, if it falls on your house, it’s going to be the owner of the house problem. That means your insurance is going to pay for the damages and you’ll have a insurance claim on your records.

I agree with above.

If it falls in your property then it's your responsibility. Only way to k ow that for sure is a survey. You might get a general idea if you look at the online county property lines (GIS) and see if you can tell where the tree is and the part that is down.

@Bernardino Graziano if the tree is damaged/dead but Hasn’t yet fallen AND the property owner is aware of the damaged/dead tree, then my understanding is that it would be the responsibility of the person who’s land it is on, even if it falls on someone else’s property.

Take some pics, check the boundary lines and offer to pay a portion if the tree is on your property too. If it isn’t clearly on your property, you shouldn’t have to pay for it bit I’d also weigh the risk of having it fall and doing major damage versus just chipping in a bit to get it handled before any damage is done.

@Jonathan Perez

If it’s close then agree to the cost as you will spend the $ getting it surveyed and if it is on both properties you probably end up splitting it anyways.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here