• Rental Property Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property w/ Swing Set

Michael Temple
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Feb 28 2018, 08:46

I have a mundane question here. I have a property that has a solid wood swing set in the backyard. It is getting old now and the current residents don't want to use it. So I am determining what to do. I thought when I first started renting out this house that this would be a nice add-on for a family with young children and families are often the ones to rent this property. However, after the current residents said they didn't think it was safe and didn't want it I started wondering if I was creating an unnecessary liability for myself, i.e. I provided a swing set that a resident or one of their friends got hurt on because it was old and something broke.

So my question is should I replace it as a nice bonus to families with children or totally remove it because it is a liability I should try and eliminate?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Rockaway, NJ
Votes |
  • Rockaway, NJ
Replied Feb 28 2018, 10:24

this may depend on how sue happy your state is, but up here I would never even consider leaving it. you could consider calling your insurance and ask them how they feel about a playground set provided by you, but imagine the liability if a neighborhood kid falls off it and gets hurt? I would take it down.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole A.
Pro Member
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
ModeratorReplied Feb 28 2018, 10:30

I second that. I, too, would take it down. The fact that its condition is worsening makes the decision even easier.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Temple
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 28 2018, 11:39

Thank you for your comments. That is the direction I was leaning as well.

User Stats

Votes
Grant Rothenburger
  • Investor
  • Taylor Mill, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Taylor Mill, KY
Replied Feb 28 2018, 12:24

@Michael Tempel No real upside, a lot of downside. Remove gets my vote too

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tempel
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 1 2018, 06:24

Wrong Michael Temple :-).    I often have my name spelled Temple even by close friend and business partners (Tempel....el throws everyone off).    Michael Temple, we should connect simply for having the same last name...maybe we are related:-).

User Stats

Votes
Nicole A.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
ModeratorReplied Mar 1 2018, 07:52

Pro tip: When tagging someone that's already posted in the thread, you can type @? . It will bring up the list of people who have posted in the current thread. Then you're sure you get the right person. :-)

User Stats

Votes
Murali Ponnaluri
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Oct 8 2020, 09:59

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat as well. I'm purchasing a property with a swing set and BBQ that the seller intends to leave behind. I am concerned that this could be a huge liability to me and would like advice on how to handle it. I thought about creating a waiver that says use at own risk - anyone had luck with using that kind of clause?

Thanks,

Murali