• Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Is this going to be a problem?

Sharad M.
Pro Member
  • Carlsbad, CA
Posted Sep 23 2010, 08:29

Hello all,

It's a long post, but I will appreciate your responses.

So I have this 2-plex that I bought last month. It has one boiler in the basement that heats 1st floor and the 2nd floor. I had couple of contractors come in and bid on putting in a new heating system to separate the heat. There are two meters for gas. Electric is already separate.

So couple of contractors bid on a new boiler system (ranging from 5k-8k) and couple of contractors suggested that I put in a new furnace in the basement (basement will just be used for storage only) to heat the 1st floor and cap the radiators on the 1st floor. (bid ranging from 3.5k to 4k). I liked the idea of putting in a new furnace and capping the radiators on the 1st floor and leave the boiler for the 2nd floor. My main motivation was the cost factor.

So, one of the contractors just called me (he had bid on putting in a new boiler for 8k) to follow up and I just told him no and I have decided to work with another contractor who suggested to put in a furnace. And then he started going off on how it's a bad idea to make the 2-plex a 2 heating system; 1st floor with furnace and 2nd floor with boiler. And also how it's a bad idea because the furnace heat isn't as good as a boiler heat because of the lack on insulation in the walls and also I will need to cut holes in the floor, which makes the floor weak.

1) Does he have a point here or am I getting scared for nothing?
2) Does the cost of $3.8k for putting a new furnace and separating the meters seems reasonable?

I truly appreciate any/all responses.

Loading replies...