To Sell or not to sell and RENT

To Sell or not to sell and RENT

Real Estate Investor · La Fayette, NY · Member since 2017 · 110 posts · 27 votes

Welll as I posted before in the Fall, I have a flip property we bought and now it comes down to "what do we do, sell or not to sell?"  Its a desirable neighborhood AND school district.  We bought it for $82K, put $25K into. renovated the entire ranch style home.  Has a large nicely finished basement, 4 bedroom, awesome kitchen, 1/2 acre fenced in private back yard.  It's a nice property and my guess it would sell within a week, maybe 2 (very low inventory in district)

Although we bought in Sept. we completed it in January. then had more important things to tend to over the past few months.  Our carrying costs on the home are $700.   Listing the home for sale will be $169K  Then I threw it on a website for rental at $2200 and there was alot of interest in renting it (and from what I could tell they were professional/career people which is typical in the area).  I also live in the area myself.

So what does one do?  We orgianlly bought it to flip, but rental at $2200 is nothing to sneeze at.  My realtor (very good friend and successful) says take advantage of the market and sell it and find the next project.  

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
8y

Flipping is a job. Long-term rentals build wealth. 

With the kind of cash-flow you're getting on this property, it's an ideal specimen for cutting your teeth on being a Landlord. If you can make it, the rewards are far greater when you hold onto it long-term.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The Creek, WV · Member since 2014 · 890 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    $2,200/month rent on a home you can sell for $169k tells me that you can't go wrong with renting it out. That's a pretty good number and easily exceeds the so called 1% rule. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Good rent to price ratio. Maybe cash out refi and hold it.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    Flipping is a job. Long-term rentals build wealth. 

    With the kind of cash-flow you're getting on this property, it's an ideal specimen for cutting your teeth on being a Landlord. If you can make it, the rewards are far greater when you hold onto it long-term.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · La Fayette, NY · Member since 2017 · 110 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    ugh!  What a difficult choice.  We like the house and its in a very good neighborhood.  I personally like how it turned it; proud of my work I guess and seeing the vision come alive.  Kind of feeling like I want to baby it for a few years.  But the other side of the coin is selling for the profit which will likely be about $52K - taxes.  My realtor friend said the other night it is a hot market and what I would get for rental income is amazing.  My wife likes the idea of using the property as a collateral piece as well.

    I'm looking forward to the next flip though.  I wasn't "lucky" with this house as I put a lot of effort in researching and the owner before we bought it (no walk through) and the odds were in our favor (unless there was a foundation cracking apart issue).  I'll add some pics later this evening. $26K/year in rental just shake my head at that.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    Flipping is a job. Renting builds wealth. You will get more out of it by holding it long-term, say 10 years or more. I would personally keep it but you have to evaluate your own life and see how it fits into your goals.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.