Urgent, Help, Potential Tenant with Pitball

134 Replies

Hi Matthew I see you are from Buffalo as well. Nice to meet you. We have mixed used property and have no issues however I highly recommend on ANY lease that you require a tenant to show prove of a 12 month paid renters policy with a pet rider including that pet upon signing the lease regardless of the breed.  There are several insurance companies that insure bullies the premium is not too bad.... 1/4 higher than most. I hope that helps?  Listen I am a Bully owner I understand the challenges of renting but I am not naïve either that said in the past I have lived in buildings with nightmare other breeds that are considered ideal and NOT so that is why I choose to take it case by case PERSONALLY.  

@Violetta Christensen    I freely admit to being biased against pit bulls, that was the whole point of my post,   But, it's a bias based on facts.   Your statement about talking to vets and ER personnel is not a fact, it's just something you pulled out of the air.  You did however admit that it costs more to insure a pit bull, and that is based on facts.   

Here are some more facts for you.  A quick summary.  Pit bulls kill more people by a wide margin than all other breeds COMBINED.

2017 analysis and 13-year summary

• 39 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2017. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 74% (29) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.3
  • During the 13-year period of 2005 to 2017, canines killed 433 Americans. Two dog breeds, pit bulls (284) and rottweilers (45), contributed to 76% (329) of these deaths. 35 different dog breeds contributed to the remaining fatal dog maulings.
  • In 2017, the combination of pit bulls (29), their close cousins, American bulldogs (1) and mastiff-type guard dogs and war dogs (2) contributed to 82% (32) of all dog bite-related fatalities. Rottweilers inflicted 1 death, killing an 18-month old Phoenix boy.
  • German shepherds had the second highest death rate in 2017, inflicting 4 deaths, followed by mixed-breeds with 3 deaths and two breeds with 2 deaths, Labrador retrievers and mastiff-types, and 2 deaths involving unknown/unreleased breed data.

Here's more data and the studies it came from.

Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs.

Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, by Bini et al., Annals of Surgery, April 2011

Of the more than 8 different breeds identified, one-third were caused by pit bull terriers and resulted in the highest rate of consultation (94%) and had 5 times the relative rate of surgical intervention.

Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment, by O'Brien et al., BS, American Journal of Otolaryngology, January–February, 2015

Unlike all other breeds, pit bull terriers were relatively more likely to attack an unknown individual (+31%), and without provocation (+48%).

Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment, by O'Brien et al., BS, American Journal of Otolaryngology, January–February, 2015

Our data were consistent with others, in that an operative intervention was more than 3 times as likely to be associated with a pit bull injury than with any other breed.

Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution, by by Golinko et al., Clinical Pediatrics, July 2016

That's why I don't accept pit bulls.

I haven’t read all the replies. But first off, the myths and horror stories behind pits are heavily overreacted and i encourage you to do reaearch to justify your desicion. So long as you a) take dog owning tenants and b) the dog has all the pre requisite paperwork then I would argue to judge the people  more than the pet they own. 

Until you have been terrorized yourself by a pit bull, you can call it myth. But it isnt, it is fact. I have been, and it is the reason I bought a gun.

Originally posted by @Shamsud-Din J. :

There are stipulations in some states requiring you to list the approval criteria in the lease application.

Since I have no pets, I have no dog in this race.

Last year, a small dog, which had a reputation of being aggressive, bit me (I didn't need medical attention). The landlord documented the incident and then evicted the dog.

My landlord is in Florida and charges a rent of $15/month per pet (cat or dog) with a non-refundable pet fee of $300 for the first pet (and $200 for the second pet). There is a 2-dog limit. Service animals are allowed (contact the leasing office for the policy). Aggressive breed restrictions apply (see below). Tenants much provide documentation that their pets have had the required shots and have been spayed or neutered.

Florida State Leash law

Reminder: Per Pensacola city’s ordinance, all pets must remain on a leash at ALL TIMES outside your home (unless in the dog park). Continued failure to comply with this state law, will result in loss of pet privileges, monetary fines, and the involvement of animal control.

REMINDER FOR PET OWNERS!

YOU are responsible for picking up after them! No one wants to see/smell it and it is a health violation. Every violation (and we mean pile) will result in a $25 FINE. Thank you for your cooperation as courteous and clean neighbors!

BREED RESTRICTION FORM (from the lease)

Special Provisions:

Pets will be limited to domesticated dogs and domesticated cats as well as small, permanently caged animals. Certified law enforcement dogs employed only by a local, state or federal agency with proper supporting documentation are also permitted.

No dogs (with exception of certified law enforcement dogs) will be allowed which have any of the following breeds in their lineage (written proof of breed and lineage from a licensed veterinarian may be required at the expense of the applicant/resident):

• Akita
  • American Staffordshire Terriers
  • Alaskan Klee Kai
  • Chow
  • Doberman
  • German Sheperd
  • Great Dane
  • Husky and Malamute
  • Perro de Presa Canarios
  • Pit Bull
  • Rottweiler
  • St. Bernard
  • Weimaraner
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Farm and exotic animals are also prohibited.

These restrictions will become effective February 8, 2005.

Individual animals which are known to be aggressive are restricted, regardless of breed. We reserve the right to restrict any animal.

@Roger Steciak very thorough addendum you have. Being thoroughly and specific makes things easier/simpler for everyone involved. Well done!

Stated this before, but people keep bringing up their OPINION about pit bulls. The only OPINION that matters is the opinion of the people that run the insurance company you have. They have run the numbers based on the research, and its their decision to not cover you if you have a pit in the residence. END OF STORY...declined.....

DO NOT get in a debate with this owner or the PM about whether you agree or disagree with that opinion and policy. If they have issues with it, they can talk to the insurance company . END OF STORY

Take the emotion of it out of the equation.....its irrelevant. This isn't a debate issue about the safety of a pit....this applicant does not qualify based on the requirements of your insurance...END OF STORY....declined

If you disagree with the insurance company, then get different insurance....... otherwise decline based on the insurance requirements

Rodger This is my LAST post about this topic ..I did not pull that out of the air(I was not talking about deaths but BITES and  on the internet how many articles can we find supporting any claim I can do the same in reverse ) but I am not going to respond ..with cut and paste!! (As tempting as it is to post several in rebuttal) Are you serious? We are all adults here .. and realize that for every article against a subject there are 3 in favor that includes this one.  Hence, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. ...This post has become way to personal and childish for my taste.  This is a business form now if someone wants to allow Pit bulls Great I suggest you put in your lease a 12 month renters insurance w/pet rider including the dogs along with Vet records and meeting the animals.  That is my experience. Now if you are not comfortable with them I urge you to feel free to not allow them after all you have to do what you think is best. For instance when I meet a dog if it is in anyway aggressive towards mine (I bring them along to test) it is not allowed regardless of its size and more than not many small dogs nip at mine and the owners say "oh they think they are big" ..MY response "No your dog is aggressive towards other dogs and wont fit in this building sorry" so every one has there own idea of what is acceptable and what is not. Enjoy your day ..weekend I think it is time to move on... Peace

I don't see any way that posting actual peer reviewed medical studies showing that pit bulls kill more and seriously injure more people than all other breeds combined, is childish.   If you have any FACTS to the contrary,  by all means, let us see them. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here