Urgent, Help, Potential Tenant with Pitball

Urgent, Help, Potential Tenant with Pitball

San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 11 votes

Please help me look at my situation: My PM threats me that the potential tenants will sue my insurance company and me for not taking them because they have a pitbull. Seriously, my Property Manager threated me that If we don't take this potential tenants, the tenant will sue. My PM is siding with the tenants? They said that the Fair Housing Act prevents people from discriminating the tenants with dogs. I am in California, is it true? 

Can I fire the my PM right away? I feel they are forcing me to take the tenants and they said they had to do it because it is fair to the tenants. They have to be fair.

Before we made the decision not to take this tenant with Pitbull, I read through all the posting in biggerpocket, majority of the landlords will not take the pitbull because of the liability issue. My insurance company sent me a special message and warned me not to rent the house to the tenant with 6 types of dogs, pitbull is one of them.

Please give me some advise what I should do, please, thank you.

1Reply
603 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

Something clearly is not adding up here. No one, no matter how dumb they are, have been in business as a PM for 6+ years and thinks dog owners are a protected class.  I think there is some kind of miscommunication between the pm and the op.  Some piece of information is not getting through.

See this reply in the discussion

134 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    I haven’t read all the replies. But first off, the myths and horror stories behind pits are heavily overreacted and i encourage you to do reaearch to justify your desicion. So long as you a) take dog owning tenants and b) the dog has all the pre requisite paperwork then I would argue to judge the people  more than the pet they own. 

  • Steinhatchee, FL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Until you have been terrorized yourself by a pit bull, you can call it myth. But it isnt, it is fact. I have been, and it is the reason I bought a gun.

  • Lender · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 658 posts · 626 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shamsud-Din J.:

    There are stipulations in some states requiring you to list the approval criteria in the lease application.

    Since I have no pets, I have no dog in this race.

    Last year, a small dog, which had a reputation of being aggressive, bit me (I didn't need medical attention). The landlord documented the incident and then evicted the dog.

    My landlord is in Florida and charges a rent of $15/month per pet (cat or dog) with a non-refundable pet fee of $300 for the first pet (and $200 for the second pet). There is a 2-dog limit. Service animals are allowed (contact the leasing office for the policy). Aggressive breed restrictions apply (see below). Tenants much provide documentation that their pets have had the required shots and have been spayed or neutered.

    ***********************************

    Florida State Leash law

    Reminder: Per Pensacola city’s ordinance, all pets must remain on a leash at ALL TIMES outside your home (unless in the dog park). Continued failure to comply with this state law, will result in loss of pet privileges, monetary fines, and the involvement of animal control.

    ***********************************

    REMINDER FOR PET OWNERS!

    YOU are responsible for picking up after them! No one wants to see/smell it and it is a health violation. Every violation (and we mean pile) will result in a $25 FINE. Thank you for your cooperation as courteous and clean neighbors!

    ***********************************

    BREED RESTRICTION FORM (from the lease)

    Special Provisions:

    Pets will be limited to domesticated dogs and domesticated cats as well as small, permanently caged animals. Certified law enforcement dogs employed only by a local, state or federal agency with proper supporting documentation are also permitted.

    No dogs (with exception of certified law enforcement dogs) will be allowed which have any of the following breeds in their lineage (written proof of breed and lineage from a licensed veterinarian may be required at the expense of the applicant/resident):

  • Akita
  • American Staffordshire Terriers
  • Alaskan Klee Kai
  • Chow
  • Doberman
  • German Sheperd
  • Great Dane
  • Husky and Malamute
  • Perro de Presa Canarios
  • Pit Bull
  • Rottweiler
  • St. Bernard
  • Weimaraner
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Farm and exotic animals are also prohibited.

    These restrictions will become effective February 8, 2005.

    Individual animals which are known to be aggressive are restricted, regardless of breed. We reserve the right to restrict any animal.

    ***********************************

  • Fresno, TX · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed very thorough addendum you have. Being thoroughly and specific makes things easier/simpler for everyone involved. Well done!

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Stated this before, but people keep bringing up their OPINION about pit bulls. The only OPINION that matters is the opinion of the people that run the insurance company you have. They have run the numbers based on the research, and its their decision to not cover you if you have a pit in the residence. END OF STORY...declined.....

    DO NOT get in a debate with this owner or the PM about whether you agree or disagree with that opinion and policy. If they have issues with it, they can talk to the insurance company . END OF STORY

    Take the emotion of it out of the equation.....its irrelevant. This isn't a debate issue about the safety of a pit....this applicant does not qualify based on the requirements of your insurance...END OF STORY....declined

    If you disagree with the insurance company, then get different insurance....... otherwise decline based on the insurance requirements

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Rodger This is my LAST post about this topic ..I did not pull that out of the air(I was not talking about deaths but BITES and  on the internet how many articles can we find supporting any claim I can do the same in reverse ) but I am not going to respond ..with cut and paste!! (As tempting as it is to post several in rebuttal) Are you serious? We are all adults here .. and realize that for every article against a subject there are 3 in favor that includes this one.  Hence, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. ...This post has become way to personal and childish for my taste.  This is a business form now if someone wants to allow Pit bulls Great I suggest you put in your lease a 12 month renters insurance w/pet rider including the dogs along with Vet records and meeting the animals.  That is my experience. Now if you are not comfortable with them I urge you to feel free to not allow them after all you have to do what you think is best. For instance when I meet a dog if it is in anyway aggressive towards mine (I bring them along to test) it is not allowed regardless of its size and more than not many small dogs nip at mine and the owners say "oh they think they are big" ..MY response "No your dog is aggressive towards other dogs and wont fit in this building sorry" so every one has there own idea of what is acceptable and what is not. Enjoy your day ..weekend I think it is time to move on... Peace

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    8y

    I don't see any way that posting actual peer reviewed medical studies showing that pit bulls kill more and seriously injure more people than all other breeds combined, is childish.   If you have any FACTS to the contrary,  by all means, let us see them. 

  • Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.