What activities do you find most enjoyable as a landlord? Least?

What activities do you find most enjoyable as a landlord? Least?

Real Estate Professional · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 225 posts · 74 votes

If you had to spend an hour on any landlord activity, what would be you favorite?

Mine? I'm a numbers guy. I love running the numbers on things. Make plans 2+ years down the line (haha those never work out but its fun as hell.) Making pro forma numbers for properties I want to buy.

Unfortunately, this activity is not necessarily the most useful.

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y

@Alex Silang My favorite Landlord activity is watching the rent money being deposited into my account on the first of the month. I also like looking at the numbers in my spreadsheet.

Least favorite is dealing with a non paying tenant and having to evict them.

I also like looking for my next acquisition.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Alex Silang My favorite Landlord activity is watching the rent money being deposited into my account on the first of the month. I also like looking at the numbers in my spreadsheet.

    Least favorite is dealing with a non paying tenant and having to evict them.

    I also like looking for my next acquisition.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I run #’s like crazy! Glad to see some fellow kooks! When I am a spectator in a meeting I run down monthly and yearlies. Then I compute my next years with potential low/high rent increases and expense adjustments. I have pages all over the place!

    I have enjoyed the landscaping we have done around our buildings because of the great response from the town and neighbors.

    I also enjoy learning new tricks and technologies on here to deploy.

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Alex Silang 

    Most: Putting the deal together.

    Least: Any kind of accounting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Most : collecting the rents Least : dealing with idiot tenants
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I would also add that I assisted/advised another person acquiring a rental property. I found that to be a very rewarding experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    8y

    I love collecting rents, and hate deciding whether to kick someone out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Collecting rent is definitely the best. It’s like a third payday, that I don’t do anything for lol. Least favorite thing is probably tenant turnover. Expensive and no rent.
  • Investor · Sierra Vista, AZ · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    Favorite: Seeing that a new tenant has paid the rent on time.

    Least favorite:  Scheduling showings for potential applicants.  And then they don't show up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.