Who's Responsible for Flooding Damage - Toilet Overflow?
Hi all,
I'm putting this out to the community for thoughts because this is a first for me as the landlord/manager of a small (< 800sf) San Francisco condo rental.
The toilet tank in the condo unit overflowed and water went under the bamboo flooring into the bedroom, the kitchen, and the dining/living area.
Plumber came out and said that the toilet mechanics needed to be replaced to stop the toilet from running when flushed. He indicated, however, that had the toilet not been clogged up (which according to the tenant and building maintenance man was the case), the toilet would have just kept running (without flooding) until someone jiggled the handle or such. He says that because the toilet was clogged and the toilet kept running, the tank overflowed.
The tenant had two friends in town and it seems they had partied that night, so they were all there in the condo when the flooding occurred, but were not aware of the flooding until much too late.
Although things dried out, the bamboo flooring is bowed in the bedroom, kitchen and living/dining area. Flooring is no longer level in certain areas. Not all of the floor was affected, but because the flooring is espresso colored, I'm not at all sure I can order a batch for replacement that will match the boards that are unaffected.
This is a good tenant and I know this was a complete accident, but the bamboo flooring was new as of 2013 and now will require a good bit of money to replace/repair. I was not told of the toilet having an issue with running and of course I didn't know about a clog so there was no avenue for me to fix these issues.
Has anyone had a similar situation and, if so, how have you handled it with your tenant? I'm open and thankful for any thoughts anyone has about my situation.
Thanks,
Melissa