Is it common to own rentals outside your city?

Is it common to own rentals outside your city?

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 13 votes

I'm working on buying my first rental property and I'm curious–how common is it to own rental properties outside your area or even states away?

I planned to buy one in my city and be my own property manager, but if there's a great opportunity in another state it would be worth hiring a PM.

How common is this?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

@Thomas W. do a search for @David Greene. He's a REALTOR in California that invests in other states. He has a good podcast that explains the basics and he has a good book "Long Distance Real Estate Investing" in the BP bookstore that is very good.

I manage around 300 rentals and most of my owners are out-of-state investors. It's pretty common. However, I think you are better off investing locally where you can watch the property and learn more quickly.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thomas W.:

    I'm working on buying my first rental property and I'm curious–how common is it to own rental properties outside your area or even states away?

    I planned to buy one in my city and be my own property manager, but if there's a great opportunity in another state it would be worth hiring a PM.

    How common is this?

    Sure, very common, in fact there is a reason many Canadians invest in AZ instead of Canada Land, you might want to look at 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/600/topics/58...

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 402 votes
    7y

    Yes, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    @Thomas W. do a search for @David Greene. He's a REALTOR in California that invests in other states. He has a good podcast that explains the basics and he has a good book "Long Distance Real Estate Investing" in the BP bookstore that is very good.

    I manage around 300 rentals and most of my owners are out-of-state investors. It's pretty common. However, I think you are better off investing locally where you can watch the property and learn more quickly.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Gesner Thanks for the tip Nathan, I'll give him a listen! I agree with your sentiment though, my first property(s) should probably be within close proximity and then move to other markets as I get comfortable. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Gesner Thanks for the tip Nathan, I'll give him a listen! I agree with your sentiment though, my first property(s) should probably be within close proximity and then move to other markets as I get comfortable. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    I live in a very rural setting . Amish country actually ,but I invest in big cities one hour from me . you gotta go where there are jobs and a big rental market .personaly I could never imagine living my life in a typical large American city . Concrete hell  if you ask me ,but hey that’s where the money is made 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 893 votes
    7y

    @Thomas W. we're in a virtual world- why limit yourself to investing ONLY in your city if resources and infrastructure allow you to be able to build processes to invest virtually, in any market, instead. There are definitely risks associated with out of market investing, but you can identify these risks and have a plan to mitigate and manage them in exchange for a more profitable investing career!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    7y
    @Thomas Welker I don’t know if there are any stats or studies on it but it seems pretty common these days . In all of CA for example it’s difficult to find cash flow so a big percentage of CA investors invest out of state . With the internet and technology these days and resources lIke BP, it can be easier than say 20 years ago .. there was the internet but it wasn’t as advanced and not everyone was online like today .
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.