Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Basic lease or roommate lease for house hacking?

Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Nov 3 2018, 13:40

I am new to BP and always love the idea of becoming a real estate investor. I was listening to the podcast and notice we have a great tool in our hands to start our journey. We are planning to house hack our house, we have a mother-in-law suit and will like to add an extra income by making a 1 bed 1 bath with kitchen and livingroom in my house aside from the mother-in-law suit.

My question is should I do a basic month to month lease or a roommate lease to both of this rentals?

We all will be sharing the same address but all of us will have separate entrance and own privacy.

Should we rent through a company's entity or our personal name ? (For liability reasons)

Thanks for your advices in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Liu
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied Nov 4 2018, 10:47

Honestly, just starting out most people don't have much of a lease. 

People that I know tend to just find someone on the local ads, kijiji or craigslist

Less legal paperwork and if you do it under the table you don't have to pay taxes on the rental income either

Personally, I would go with a lease term of at least 1 year, as you might not want people in and out of your house all the time especially if you live there.

But if you are firm on getting a lease, try to ask for some legal help drafting it from a real estate agent 

I do think though you should rent out through your personal name, as there isn't much of a need for a corporate entity at such a small level (no offense)

User Stats

Votes
Richard Sherman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Salem, OR
Votes |
  • Salem, OR
Replied Nov 4 2018, 11:13

@Griselle Monzon I would ask any friends who are PMs , realtors or own rentals if they have a good lease you can use. I would not worry about a LLC but I WOULD declare the income on your taxes.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 5 2018, 04:58
@Dennis Liu Thank you I appreciate your advice CL is were we advertise, will definitely do the year lease, if I don't do the lease how would I hold someone accountable for rent payment.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 5 2018, 05:23

@Griselle Monzon 

The first thing you want to do is avoid taking advice from someone that gives you advice on how to break the law. Under-the-table payments and not reporting taxable income is a federal offense. Don't cheat to try and get ahead in life.

Make sure the zoning allows for three separate dwellings. You can probably call your city zoning office and they will tell you what is allowed.

A roommate lease is appropriate when you have shared common area. For example, if you had three bedrooms rented out but everyone shared the bathrooms, kitchen, and living room then you will need a lease that addresses how to use those shared spaces. If your rentals all have private space and private entrances, then a standard lease is appropriate.

You should put them in your personal name. An LLC will only add protection if you know how to use it properly. They are easy to set up but many people don't follow the rules and expose themselves to liability.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Liu
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied Nov 5 2018, 10:53
Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

@Griselle Monzon 

The first thing you want to do is avoid taking advice from someone that gives you advice on how to break the law. Under-the-table payments and not reporting taxable income is a federal offense. Don't cheat to try and get ahead in life.

Make sure the zoning allows for three separate dwellings. You can probably call your city zoning office and they will tell you what is allowed.

A roommate lease is appropriate when you have shared common area. For example, if you had three bedrooms rented out but everyone shared the bathrooms, kitchen, and living room then you will need a lease that addresses how to use those shared spaces. If your rentals all have private space and private entrances, then a standard lease is appropriate.

You should put them in your personal name. An LLC will only add protection if you know how to use it properly. They are easy to set up but many people don't follow the rules and expose themselves to liability.

Cool part about the roommate lease didn't know about that! 

User Stats

Votes
Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 5 2018, 16:14
@Richard Sherman Thank you i will be reporting it as income in my taxes, do you know im f this can be use as tac writes off?

User Stats

Votes
Richard Sherman
  • Salem, OR
Votes |
  • Salem, OR
Replied Nov 5 2018, 19:33
Originally posted by @Griselle Monzon:
@Richard Sherman Thank you i will be reporting it as income in my taxes, do you know im f this can be use as tac writes off?

I would imagine that you would get a write off for expenses incurred for renting it, but probably not more than the deductibility and eventual tax-free capital gains for it being your primary residence.  That is a CPA question and I am NOT one  haha    BUT, if you had to buy furniture or paint or something to get it ready, sure that is a write off against the income from rent.

User Stats

Votes
Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 6 2018, 17:42
@Nathan G. Thank you very much this is really helpful. I'll be checking the zoning with the city to find out if is permitted. I appreciate the advice.

User Stats

Votes
Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 6 2018, 17:47
@Richard Sherman haha that was a good one at least yoh gave a good advice i will be calling my CPA integards to that.😁

User Stats

Votes
Stanley Bronstein
  • Attorney, CPA, Broker & Author
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Attorney, CPA, Broker & Author
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 6 2018, 18:15

@Griselle Monzon For those of us who are fans of The Big Bang Theory, I think we should ask Sheldon Cooper to join BP and to share his roommate agreement with us (grin).

User Stats

Votes
Griselle Monzon
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 11 2018, 13:13
@Stanley Bronstein Funny and interesting... I am lost when we talk about T.V shows berly watch T.V. thanks for sharing.