Votes |
Tenant - Noise Complaints

Jonathan Martinez
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Bronx, NY
Posted Nov 6 2018, 11:39

Hello, 

I need some advice on how to best handle an issue. I currently have noise complaints from the first floor unit about the second floor tenants being too noisy. The second floor tenants usually speak loudly. However, they play music and watch TV on high volume throughout the night. I have addressed to them that the first floor tenant is sensitive to noise and sounds travel through the units easily. As well as asked them to be aware of everyone else that is living in the building. They seem to understand when I inform them of the issue until they start again in a few weeks.

What are some suggestions on how to handle this?

Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Erie, pa
Votes |
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Replied Nov 6 2018, 14:33
@Jonathan Martinez In multi family buildings you have to be very selective on who you put together in the same building . Example ; You don’t want a 25 year old hIppy/ band member Guy upstairs and an elderly couple downstairs .be very mindful of how you pick your tenants or you are going to have headaches like this .

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
  • The Vampire State
Replied Nov 6 2018, 17:02

On some level, tenants need to understand that if they are living in an apartment building they will have to have a baseline tolerance for noise.  That being said, if you think the upper floor tenants are indeed a problem, then issue them a formal notice to cure.  

This is reason #43 as to why I only offer M2M leases.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 6 2018, 17:11

They have had a warning, you now need to send a formal notice and suggest that you are willing to release them from their lease.

After they leave you should suggest that your down stairs tenant relocate to the upper unit before you get a new tenant.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Martinez
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Nov 6 2018, 20:15

Thank you everyone! I have given them plenty of chances. I will have the tenant call the authorities if this issue persists. 

User Stats

Votes
Mary M.
  • Portland OR
Votes |
  • Portland OR
Replied Nov 6 2018, 21:35

My leases all have “quiet times” in them i think it is 10pm to 8AM. If i get complaints more than once i issue a warning then if tenant does not take me seriously i tell them they are in violation of the lease.  So far this has been enough to keep everyone in line.  

So check your lease and warn accordingly.