User Stats

Votes
Ben C
Votes |
Talent asking for addtional key set

Ben C
Posted May 26 2011, 22:36

Hi,

apartment is rent to a couple since 1 month ago, now they are asking for an addtional set of key. when asked why, they said " just in case" when they left in the house. I have already provided 2 sets of key to them. so I kindly refused to do so. but I do want to check with folks here to see if providing additional key is something landlords OK to do.

Thanks

Ben

User Stats

Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 26 2011, 22:39

Why can't they just pay and go have copies made themselves?? That's what I did back when I rented. Some people are so cheap.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied May 26 2011, 22:59

I'd say "you are free to make additional copies for your own use." I'd much rather them have a spare than call me at an inconvenient time saying they lost their keys and are locked out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ben C
Votes |
Replied May 26 2011, 23:03
Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
I'd say "you are free to make additional copies for your own use." I'd much rather them have a spare than call me at an inconvenient time saying they lost their keys and are locked out.

thanks Jon and Bienese. It's a coOP, I guess I need to request for those keys from the building. this is my first rental. trying to learn as I go. I was just concerned they may moving someone else in there. is that a valid concern?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied May 26 2011, 23:14

They might want to bring in someone else, but you can't control that by not giving extra keys. Note I said they could make copies for their OWN use. You could emphasize that if you suspect they are going to break the lease.

User Stats

Votes
Ben C
Votes |
Replied May 26 2011, 23:16
Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
They might want to bring in someone else, but you can't control that by not giving extra keys. Note I said they could make copies for their OWN use. You could emphasize that if you suspect they are going to break the lease.

I see, thanks Jon. I will email them back to reconsider that if they agree to pay for the key. They seem to be good talent so far, I rather keep everyone happy.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied May 27 2011, 01:42

Chances are that these keys are marked with the "do not duplicate" stamp, probably because the building has some master keying setup; that's usually why the keys have to be obtained by request. The blanks for these type of keys usually aren't found at the big box home centers either, so the tenant will probably have a hard time getting their own copies.

Unfortunately, part of the property management role is to handle the "just in case" types of things - so you should expect that you will get those occasional (and rare) calls at odd hours.

BTW- regarding the topic title - it does take a certain "Talent asking for addtional key set" - and tenants have developed that talent! :D

User Stats

Votes
Mike McKinzie
  • Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Replied May 27 2011, 02:12

Thanks Steve, I was wondering who in the world was "Talent"?

User Stats

Votes
Ben C
Votes |
Replied May 27 2011, 07:09
Originally posted by Mike M:
Thanks Steve, I was wondering who in the world was "Talent"?

LOL. Sorry for the Typo(couldn't figure out how to fix it) and thanks all for helping.