• Property Manager
  • Roxbury, CT
Votes |
Tenant wants a pet Dog

Adam Batcheller
  • Property Manager
  • Roxbury, CT
Posted Jun 10 2019, 17:31

My tenant is requesting if they could have a pet, dog specifically in a condo situation that allows pets

User Stats

Votes
Heath M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jun 10 2019, 17:38

I require a pet fee (not a deposit, a non-refundable fee).  250 for below 25lb and 300 for above.

User Stats

Votes
Nic Hill
  • San Luis Obispo, CA
Votes |
  • San Luis Obispo, CA
Replied Jun 10 2019, 17:39

Afternoon @Adam Batcheller

It would be at your discretion I suppose. Type of dog breed etc. I have two children with special needs and when my wife and I used to rent, even though no pets were not allowed, they would allow us to have a therapeutic pet for my sons. Don’t know if this helps or not. I suppose you don’t want any backlash for someone living with a disability. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Batcheller
  • Property Manager
  • Roxbury, CT
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Roxbury, CT
Replied Jun 10 2019, 18:03

@Nic Hill. Hi Nic, it’s a young couple looking to get a rescue pet. She is 7 months old and She’s a Beagle, under 30lbs. Seems harmless enough. My asset/condo has just been renovated, new pergo floors. Do you think charging a monthly fee is warranted? Or a one time fee?? Not sure what to do here.

The HOA allows it, but with obvious restrictions aka "no disturbances to the neighbors, when outside she must be on a leash, must pick up any waste.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Wick
  • Ankeny, IA
Votes |
  • Ankeny, IA
Replied Jun 10 2019, 19:57

@Adam Batcheller  Aren't Beagles howlers, especially when left alone? I allow pets in my duplexes, in order to attract more applicants. But if they are already there, unless it is financially beneficial, just say no. 

User Stats

Votes
David Stone
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Jun 10 2019, 20:07

I switched from non refundable pet fees to fully refundable pet deposits and increased from $300 to $700 refundable in addition to their security deposit. I believe there is more incentive to keep things clean when the money is refundable and more money to work with if damage does occur

User Stats

Votes
Amy Beth
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
  • Edison, NJ
Replied Jun 11 2019, 04:12

@Adam Batcheller We allow pets on the condition that the tenant submits proof that the pet is spayed or neutered and proof of renters’ insurance to cover the pet. Slaying or neutering shows that the owners are responsible and it decreases the chances of the pet marking their territory with urine.

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Jun 11 2019, 04:30

We just repaired a SF rental that had a fenced yard & a 'small' foo foo dog. It chewed the dryer vent off the outside wall, chewed the wood at the kitchen door entrance & inside door trim, stained the basement carpet big time & every door has scratches where it tried to enter the rooms. Not to mention a couple of windows screens that were torn by it pawing at the windows. We kept the $375 & the entire $1500 security deposit but it was a time consuming PITA to repair all the small damages. 

So I agree with 

@Adam Batcheller "Slaying" maybe the solution!!!

User Stats

Votes
Glenn McCrorey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Jun 11 2019, 07:43

Beagles are pretty "vocal" and condo dwellers are quick to complain....

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Jun 11 2019, 08:20

Adam,

From an Insurance standpoint, you have to be wary of breeds of dogs that could cause you to loose your insurance on the unit.  A beagle is not likely to be on any list but suppose the rescue dog is a pit bull.  You would likely be facing a non-renewal from your carrier if the tenant had a pit bull, Rottweiler, etc.