• Real Estate Investor
  • Saratoga, CA
Votes |
Section 8 headache?

Jak Dadi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saratoga, CA
Posted Apr 24 2012, 01:46

Greetings! i closed on a short sale 4 plex in Stockton in January. All units vacant but for one section 8 tenant who lost her vouchur before close of escrow. Seller had let her stay by collecting her portion of the rent knowing fully well that the property will be out of his hand shortly. We did not get any leases on the tenant. Sure enough tenant does not pay a dime and of course does not qualify to pay full rent herself. So, 3 months on, we have a non paying tenant. In the absence of any documentation, how do we get her out? I offered her cash for keys but no luck. I am told her adult kids have a criminal history. The attorney calls me and indicates that we should give them a 3 day notice and in the absence of any documentation, we should ask them to pay 3 months of their portion of the rent. Of course, we have no portion of what their portion is, except that during one of the conversation, we found out that her portion used to be ~$203. He believes that the tenant pay not be able to come up with 3 months of 203= 609. If she does come through, on May 1st, she will have to come up with May's portion of $203. At that time, we also give her a 30 or 60 day notice on intent to increase the rent to market rate of 600.
So, in short, this will be a long drawn process. Questions
1) Will Section 8 share any historical info on her, prior to me taking over ownership
2) How do I get her out? Anyone else ever dealt with a similar issue? Is this the best approach?

I have a few other section 8 tenants and they are model tenants. But of course, there has to be a bad apple in the basket!!

Loading replies...