Adding Greenhouse to my 4 unit Multifamily in Columbus Ohio

10 Replies

My business partner and old college roommate bought 3 properties together over the course of a year in Columbus, Ohio in Old North Columbus. He now is going to add a greenhouse to the large yard. Do you think that this will add value to my property? Do you think my current tenants will like the greenhouse? He has agreed to give them plenty of space in it to grow whatever they want. The units are 1bd 1 ba with about 400 sq ft. Rents are currently $895, $840, $802, and $798.

I have never heard of this before.  What is his motivation here?  Is the goal to add value, or to give himself a place to grow plants?

I actually like the idea, but no, I don’t think it will add value. Being on the corner like that I would think there is a good chance for vandalism as well.

Tenants will not care about this and it will not add value to the property.

Originally posted by @Remington Lyman :

My business partner and old college roommate bought 3 properties together over the course of a year in Columbus, Ohio in Old North Columbus. He now is going to add a greenhouse to the large yard. Do you think that this will add value to my property? Do you think my current tenants will like the greenhouse? He has agreed to give them plenty of space in it to grow whatever they want. The units are 1bd 1 ba with about 400 sq ft. Rents are currently $895, $840, $802, and $798.

No don't think anybody cares about the green house one way or the other.

It might attract a more conscientious tenant, which sounds like a good thing imo.  Add some solar panels and a water barrel and just go all in eco?  Is that a thing? I don't know if that'd make a difference in Columbus.

Is he putting the greenhouse in for his own use, and giving the tenants some space next to his? If not this just sounds like an extra maintenance expense that doesn't add any value.