Votes
Jeff Sinclair
  • Scott Depot, WV
Votes |
Security Cameras for small apartment complex

Jeff Sinclair
  • Scott Depot, WV
Posted Sep 6 2019, 05:16

I am looking for advice to purchase a security camera system for a small apartment complex. I would like to have cameras that can visualize the parking lot, and the entrances to the units, just in case there are any attempted break-ins, etc. Does anyone have experience with this, or could you give me some advice? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Sep 6 2019, 05:28

You can buy the cheap wireless set where you are replacing batteries or get what you pay for and get a good system.

I recommend and use Digital Watchdog cameras and software. You can fully customize zones that trigger and email to you with a picture and only during times you set.

The software is free you just have to pay about $60 for each camera license. The license gives you the ability to record. They have a phone app where you can check in on any of your cameras.

There is no monthly fee, it records directly to your camera server (I use a laptop) and you can access recorded footage whenever you like from your camera server.

They have all kinds of cameras for different needs. They have some that are designed to capture license plates as cars are driving by.

User Stats

Votes
Billy Linn
  • Investor
  • Green River, WY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Green River, WY
Replied Sep 6 2019, 06:44

@Jeff Sinclair looks like there are lots of good choices. I did some research a few years ago and decided to go with a Ubiquiti system. I liked that I could set up my own controller/ recorder so I could add as many hard drives as I wanted.

Whatever you choose, I’d go with POE (power over Ethernet) IP cameras. They carry data and power over the same wire so you only have to run one wire. Running your wires is probably going to be the hardest part, but a wired system is going to work better.

Get the highest resolution cameras you can (they take more storage but can be the difference in being able to read a license plate or make out a face in the distance).

I have mixed feelings about having cameras at our apartment but I think they are required at our laundromat.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Russ B.
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Sep 6 2019, 08:31

I have not tried other brands, so I could be off, but at our daycare center we use a system from Everfocus. Not sure if these are overkill for an apartment complex, but it meets our needs nicely. 

It has a web interface and phone apps that anybody with a password can use. The DVR will record however many hours will fit in the hard drive you install, so you can always go back and copy the video if there has been an incident. Cameras come in indoor and outdoor flavors. 

It also allows you to set multiple passwords that enable different cameras - so everybody can see the parking lot and laundry room, but maybe some areas are more restricted (IE, a tenant can see their own entrance only). When somebody leaves, you only have to change their login - everybody else's stays the same.