Buying rentals with cash or mortgage?

Buying rentals with cash or mortgage?

Property Manager · Erie, PA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes

I have 8 single family homes that I have purchased cash after I spend whatever amount of time saving with a good deal of success, but feel I am not moving at the pace I would like to achieve my goals. For people in similar situations did/would you continue to save and buy properties cash so you have no mortgages or start taking out loans?

Also, on top of this I manage 30 units for other investors.

Thanks

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill HamptonBusiness Member
Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
7y

Take out mortgages. Use leverage. Interest rates are low. You can get more properties using mortgages vs. paying cash. 

Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    7y

    Take out mortgages. Use leverage. Interest rates are low. You can get more properties using mortgages vs. paying cash. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    Sounds like you need to get mortgages for more properties. 8 free and clear is great! If you want more units, get more units. It’s okay to have a small cash portfolio but if you want to scale debt is an awesome way to do it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Refi the houses you own and double your portfolio

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    CLICK HERE for an article that explains the benefits of leverage.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 325 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    I did the same but now I am buying more using mortgage and down payment. This helps you scale faster. I realized it little late but not a deal breaker.

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nicholas Eakin

    Cashing out on these 8 properties would allow you to purchase many more and overall should greatly increase your cash flow.

    If they are in your personal name with conventional, you could get an LTV of 75% on a Single unit and an LTV of 70% for a Multi-family residence. Conventional does limit you to 10 financed properties, but after that you can go portfolio.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    7y

    I still can't understand investing in rental real estate using cash. What kind of % returns are you able to get? It must be less than investing in much easier products like stocks or mutual funds. 
    I would rather allow my tenants to actually buy the property for me!

  • Property Manager · Erie, PA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Scott Weaner A lot of people say the same thing, but I look at more in terms of being able to leave my full time job after I hit a certain income per month or year to live off of and not depend on another income.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.